• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

World Airways Interview & Questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Baja,They have had this training reputation for at least since I got into the flying gig in 1969.They have always been tuff on the check rides.

I think tough is an "understatement." If you value your employees, why wouldn't you train to proficiency?

Baja.

Baja,
Train to proficiency is a relativity new thing and some smaller carriers may find over time its easier to release people they may think will be a training problem down the line.In Worlds case they used to say training was tough because pilots were on there own in so much of the operation. I have know idea what its like now but the training attitude goes back 57 yrs and may be slow to change.As for your pal,if I was weak or unfamiliar with some system on the A/C I would have asked for help before the check ride.
The other thing in a small company is the possibility that some Capt or FE put in a bad report verbally or said something about this friend of yours ability to get along. Its a big deal in a crew that spends up to 18 days on the road together.

Going2Baja said:
All pilots are typed and must maintain PIC currency (So I'm told...) Ie. 6 mos checks.

Baja.

I am not going to get into a urinary olympics here but I think there is more to this story than maybe you have.

Yes all on the MD-11 are typed so a 1st class med every six months is required. As for the six month check, never heard of it for F/O's. I have seen the Trng department bend over backwards to help a guy who has earned the benefit of the doubt. There are still guys showing to recurrent not prepared. Most of these guys are coming from the train to profeniancy airlines and if after initial trng and a year on the line you don't come to the relaization that WOA will put you on the sidewalk then you are not paying attention. World has always had tough training and its not as bad as it was 6 yrs ago, but with that said it can still be a humbling expierence.

I am not sure what happened with your friend and I wish him good luck but based on what you have relayed here there is more to the story and maybe out of embarrassment or something else he just has not said all.....

first officers dont do a six month check..... possible he went in do to landing currency or not getting the consolidation of experience---100 hours in 120 days???
World flys wide body airplanes to just about anywhere at any time......Hence they are hesitant to let somebody they feel are weak to continue... that being said I also see attitude as everything... I have seen some people who are a little weak or having trouble and have seen the company give them help...but they had a good attitude and really tried.... I have seen people get the ax like your friend, but generally it is do to a bad attitude, being lazy or not prepared.
There is nothing on the probationary ride they didnt see on their type.... and everything on the FMS that they like to see can be studied so I find it hard to excuse not knowing that. I do agree it sucks to hear about your friends situation though.....

MD11Drvr said:
Yes you can live most anywhere in the lower 48. You need an airport with 3 carriers. Then they buy your ticket to whereever a hotel on the other end to get 12+ hours crew rest before your trip. That is the condensed version.

As an open flyer you only know 2 to 3 dyas out. Some of the time they will have your entire trip built but more than likely you go out for a 4 day trip and it becomes a 16 day trip. You never leave the house lightly packed or you may be flippin drawers inside out to stretch laundry. With the new contract one of the big improvements was you now know your 12 days off in advance and unless you voluteer up to 6 of the 12 you will always have 12 off and you will know about them by the end of the previous month.

The airplanes are fine the Maint. is reasonably good, especially our mechs in europe. The airplanes are flying a lot of the day is the big problem. The crews are great overall and the lifestyle is great or you will hate it. We have had a few guys go back to thier legacy carrrier recently and I think some of it may have been the sched. It not for everyone.

If you don't mind being out of the house 2 weeks on 2 weeks off give or take and you like to try international adult beverages then this job may be for you. The trng is tough as there is no train to profeciancy so be prepared to study hard because they put 1 out of about 7 or 8 on the sidewalk. Things have gotten better with the interview and training so maybe its some better but still if coasting through training is your style I would not suggest World Airways.

Hope some of this helps...........Good Luck

1 in 7 on sidewalk? WOW. That is some pressure:(

coogebeachhotel said:
1 in 7 on sidewalk? WOW. That is some pressure:(

It seems to go in spurts. It seems as though the trng dept. has a series of rough sims and then things will go well for a while. I think one in 7 or maybe 1 in 8. The sim check in the interview will usually catch weak intrument skills. If you have had a hard time in initial trng and then get a few weak progress reports from capt's through the year then you will need to set a new standard when you go for your probationary check ride. The benefit of the doubt is earned and a lot goes on attitude and preparedness.

Latest resources

Back