• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Working in Kuwait

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My father has been working there for the last 3.5 years. Actually has been home since April 05 but just returned Jan 06 to Kuwait City.

He was there throughout Gulf War 2 and feels very safe. Of course it is prudent being an American expat to change your schedule routinely and be aware of your surroundings.

The Kuwaities like the Americans very much...(they would be Iraqies otherwise....:) ) and the police there are quick to thwart any questionable activities. There are thousands of non-military expatriates residing in Kuwait city.

Good luck, there are many worse places to be....

The best shushi I ever had was at the JW Marriott in Kuwait City. The problem is that when you walk around the corner from the hotel you're in sh1+ city.

Go to Dubia, that's a great city where anything goes.

CLAMBAKE

Thanks for all the responses. I'm not sure how long I'll last but 6 months in Kuwait makes me almost 3 years of regional FO pay.

Capt Happy

Yeah, I worked in Kuwait for the national airline.

Once ya get settled in an apartment, there is plenty to do and guys smuggle in booze all the time.
No penaltized if ya get caught (Unlike Saudi Arabia)

The downside was that we needed an exit visa to leave the country on days off.
Could not just hop a jet to Dubai or London to drink beer, it was a big deal to leave town.

The Kuwaitis were fairly nice to us expats, and the job was decent enough, but the sandbox still sux.

Do yourself a BIG favor.......take a jobe in the Orient! Its a hell of alot better.

Captain Happy said:
Thanks for all the responses. I'm not sure how long I'll last but 6 months in Kuwait makes me almost 3 years of regional FO pay.

Capt Happy

Dang happy!!!! where do I sign up....hahaha..............................Seriously!!!!

Junkflyer said:
We fly mail in there and layover 24-72 hours. I used to walk around, but don't do that anymore. Too many stories from other guys being followed and such. I may go next door to eat or something, but normally don't leave the hotel anymore. We stay at a nice place with huge concrete blocks surrounding the hotel. They kind of make you feel comfortable until you think about why they are there. No booze of any kind-huge downside.

I agree with Junk.

easy to fly around there, the people are mostly friendly, and the hotels feel safe...but its not much fun. I wouldnt want to spend 6 months there unless you were always traveling!

I say Dubai also!

Been there done that got the Dishdash. I spent almost 2 years flying a Kuwaiti sheik around the planet. The culture is arrogant. They have already re-written the text books to show how they fought of the Iraqi's. They are lazy.
I remember one time I needed to get an airport ID. It took 3 months. First I needed Omar's signature, "when will Omar be back". "When he gets back". 3 weeks later, Omar signed my form ( you can't leave it, you need to keep checking back) and then told me I needed Walid's signature, 3 weeks later...you get the picture.

The government guarantees a natural born Kuwaiti a job, so it breeds a basic welfare mentality. The natural born Kuwait's get unlimited support from the government (school, housing, land). The only ones that work over their are the ex pats, the Indians, Pakistanis and the Lebanese.

The chicks are hot, most are from Eastern block countries or non oil nations like Jordan. They are all there working there because they can't find work at home for the same money. Most can't stand the locals and the local guys want no part of them (this is where you come in).

The flying is a breeze, all of the controllers are well versed in English and the majority are ex-pats.

Get in, get what you need and get out. God gave them the oil becasue he gave them nothing else.

Last edited:
Reminds me of the movie syriana-

You want to know what the business world thinks of you? We think a hundred years ago you were living out here in tents in the desert chopping each others heads off, and that's exactly where you're gonna be in another hundred. So yes, on behalf of my firm, I accept your money.
-----

my cousins were telling me that dubai is the most plastic city they have ever seen.

Latest resources

Back