• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Schicer

Homeless
Howdy,

I just submitted my application packet so I’m anticipating a call at some point (I have heard it takes a while). Consequently, if I get offered a job I would like to know what I’m getting myself into. Irrespective of pay and time off, I have a few questions regarding normal day to day activities:

Do you spent a lot of time waiting around in FBOs?

Which aircraft have flight attendants?

What is the first day of a trip like (i.e. is it hard to find the other pilot and aircraft)?

What would a bad day at work be like?

How do the passengers treat you?

I could ask questions all day, but I suppose that is plenty for now. Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to answer these.

1. We spend -some- time waiting around in FBO's. Nothing like the corporate guys, though. It also depends on the fleet and the day of the week as to how busy you are and how much you might sit.

2. The Falcons have FA's.

3. First day is usually "mostly travel". Varies wildly. I've had days where I pick up an aircraft where I'm based and fly 5 legs, but I've also had days where I ride one airline leg to a hotel the first day.

Since everyone has Blackberries, it is never hard to find the other pilot/crew members unless he's hiding.

4. Depends on what you mean by a "bad day". We have "hard days" where we work long hours. We have days where we fly 5 legs in weather. We have days when the airplane breaks. However, it's all part of a job that is, overall, a lot of fun and very satisfying.

5. Passengers treat us with respect. Not all passengers have great personalities, but generally speaking, you'll enjoy your interaction with the pax.

6. I know you didn't ask about this, but I'll tell you anyway. If you are the type of guy who needs to know what's going to happen ahead of time, you won't like this job much. If you are the type of guy who can roll with the punches and look at every brief change as if it's an adventure, you'll love this job.

Thanks Mooneymite,

Sounds like a cool job. Do you often fly with the same people?

Thanks Mooneymite,

Interesting question.

Depends on the fleet you're in. Small fleets tend to pair the same guys together more often.

If you live in the same city with someone in your fleet who has the same start day as you, your chances of flying with that guy are pretty good. If you are on a reserve schedule, it's hit or miss if you ever get paired with a guy again.

In the old days, there used to be a "no fly list" for guys that just couldn't fly together. No such thing anymore...or so they say. Apparently everyone is compatible now.

Thanks Mooneymite,

I flew with the same guy for about 3 or 4 months straight. Both based in the same city, and both have the same start days.

In 2.5 years the most tours I've flown with the same Captain is 4 (not in a row). That Capt lived in the same city I did. In a small fleet like the Encore (16 Jets) it's about 50/50 if I fly with someone I've flown with before. But that's the reserve schedule, if you do 7-7 you might see the same pilots more often.

There's only been a few trips where I had pax I'd flown before.

AirBear

I just wan to echo what Mooneymite said. All good info. Especially his last statement:

If you are the type of guy who needs to know what's going to happen ahead of time, you won't like this job much. If you are the type of guy who can roll with the punches and look at every brief change as if it's an adventure, you'll love this job.

That is the heart of this job. That's why most of us love it. In the 6 1/2 years that I've been here, I have never been bored. If you are the kind of person that doesn't like change, don't come here. Otherwise, good luck, hope to see you on line.

Just curious, submitted my app. packet today, How long is it running from app. packet being accepted to interview. With the IBB proposals Im sure HR is overwhelmed with applicants.

Flying for NJs? Its like you and a buddy, taking a plane for a week.....all expenses paid....without a plan. Everyday is a question of "where to?" and "with who?".

All the flights plans are done for us like at the airlines. We (at least, I) dont kiss a**. We treat people good, and they (for the most part) treat us good in return.

Stock the plane, clean the plane, fly the plane.

I am on the "X". Lots of transcons. This plane likes to go east and west. Might be in SEA, might in in MIA. Probably hit TEB once per tour. Usually hit 1 new place per tour.

When at the FBOs, most are very nice and clean with quiet TV rooms. Most have crew cars, for if you have the time to go off the airport.

Stay at nice Embassy Suites or HIlton type hotels. Most give us free breakfast.

Next time your at the airline terminal, look around at all the happy faces.....there arent any, from passengers to employees.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back