Work History?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jschroed

I am currently in the process of applying and interviewing with a couple of regionals. I was just wondering how in-depth the work history has to be. Should I include every job I have had, just jobs that I claimed taxes at or what. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I would emphasize your aviation-related jobs, and then be brief about other jobs that may be important to mention.

For example, my resume is like this:

Company ABS Aug04-Present
Aerial Photographer: duties include flying and taking pictures.
Aircraft flown: c152

Company ADG May-Sep03/July-Aug 04
Flight Ops Intern & Dispatcher: duties included.....
Aircraft flown: desk :)

Non-aviation related jobs 1991-2002
Daycare center supervisor, harvey's restaurant employee, canadian tire employee, landscaper, corn-detassler, babysitter, paper-carrier: developped strong customer service and teamwork skills.

Some people do not even mention their non-aviation related jobs, but I think if you have the space, mention them. If not, it's probably not a big deal. I do not think a regional airline would even care if they knew that I flipped burgers back in the day or worked the night shift at canadian tire as a shelve-stocker. I include the stuff because I can (I am a low time pilot).

Good luck,

Chris.

If you're preparing a resume put down relevant work history. If you are filling out applications put everything down for the requested period.

Definitely don't bring up the "...or just claimed taxes" part again.

I keep two histories for printout. One is an entire work history that can be modified according to the employers needs. The other is strictly one for professional flying.

If I am wanting to do some work in a maintenance related field, my flying history isn't particularly important. I modify my work history to expand on what maintenance related items I've done, and minimize everything else. If I've flown for a company and turned wrenches for them, I describe the maintenance, but not the flying. I list it, but don't magnify it.

Conversely, if it's a flying position I'm after, I identify the maintenance I've done, but minimize it; I expand on the flying.

Any other work that's not directly related, I either minimize, or don't include. When attending an interview, I always have one complete work history that includes everything. I use that for my own purposes, to fill out applications, answer any specific questions that might come up, etc. I keep that history filled with every possible detail that might be asked, from salaries, to fax numbers, to any specifics that might in any way be relevant.

I always print out a copy of the specific history to give to the employer at the conclusion of the interview. It sometimes helps to include it with the application, as no application has nearly enough room to include all my former employment.

Many employers will want to know about all former employment history, including any gaps in employment. Be sure to have a copy that covers everything for your own reference, if asked. But for a copy to give to the employes, just list what's relevant. Don't include manager at the Red Lion hotel, or bartending...just what's relevant. While management may be useful experience, it's not really relevant to getting hired as a line pilot.

Latest resources

Back