• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Woo Hoo

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You were hired by someone before you turned 40. We're talking about getting on with a commuter airline after the age of 40. I was nearing 40 as I hit the mins for commuters and more than exceeded them after I turned 40. I had a few commuter interviews before I turned 40, but not one thereafter. By that time a recession toppled over by the Gulf War hit and hiring virtually stopped. The 20-somethings which I referenced above were being hired.

Once again, I submit that the vast majority of commuters find 40-year-old career-changers to be anathema. That something is wrong if you changed careers, and especially to aviation. That you're some kind of diletante. To be fair about it, it is extremely hard to find a job in any industry past 40. That, somehow, you're over the hill. Over 50 and you're poisonous.

Once again, the question turns on when you started in aviation. I'd submit that your friend Bob started in aviation when he was young and so did the other, older folks you see and encounter. I maintain that regional hiring departments are generally prejudiced against older pilots, and especially career changers.

You're absolutely right about luck. It helps to have it, and to hit a hiring gusher and not a dry hole. Once again, I'm pleased that you made it

Last edited:
Much has been written recently about "affimative action" or, if you prefer, reverse discrimination.

I believe it is Ward Connerly, a black man, who wrote very eloquently in the recent past about how favoritism in hiring for special groups does more harm to those who are hired than anyone else. Those employees become tagged as "having the job because we needed a certain type of employee" instead of "hired because they were the best we could find".

That would be an awful stigma to carry.

Last edited:
Reverse discrimination

Take a look at Regents of the University of California v. Bakke, 438 U.S. 265 (1978). This is the landmark Supreme Court case that struck down reverse discrimination.

http://oyez.nwu.edu/cases/cases.cgi...ow&case_id=324.

Click the link and then click the FindLaw Written Opinions of the Court link.

It's worth your time to read this case if you have strong feelings about reverse discrimination.

Re: Age

bobbysamd said:
You were hired by someone before you turned 40. We're talking about getting on with a commuter airline after the age of 40. I was nearing 40 as I hit the mins for commuters and more than exceeded them after I turned 40. I had a few commuter interviews before I turned 40, but not one thereafter. By that time a recession toppled over by the Gulf War hit and hiring virtually stopped. The 20-somethings which I referenced above were being hired.

Once again, I submit that the vast majority of commuters find 40-year-old career-changers to be anathema. That something is wrong if you changed careers, and especially to aviation. That you're some kind of diletante. To be fair about it, it is extremely hard to find a job in any industry past 40. That, somehow, you're over the hill. Over 50 and you're poisonous.

Once again, the question turns on when you started in aviation. I'd submit that your friend Bob started in aviation when he was young and so did the other, older folks you see and encounter. I maintain that regional hiring departments are generally prejudiced against older pilots, and especially career changers.

You're absolutely right about luck. It helps to have it, and to hit a hiring gusher and not a dry hole. Once again, I'm pleased that you made it

:p Yeah I was hired two months before I turned 40, and Bob was also hired post 40. I still belive that you are wrong in your statements hiring older pilots in the National airlines. (we are trying to lose the stigma of commuter) The crews that I was refering to that I meet on the road were hired older as are some of the folks at my airline that are junior to me. It is the interview that gets you hired.

I was hired by a jet national at the ripe young age of 42 1/2. I was also offered jobs by another 121 carrier and by a jet freight outfit. The sum total of my aviation experience was 3 years of flight instructing and 12.3 hours of turbine time. I don't have a four year degree and I'm not a former military pilot. I got the impression during all the interviews that my age was a definite advantage for me. They all seemed to appreciate the 'maturity' I could bring to the job.

Granted this all happened in 1999-2000 when everyone was hiring. I don't know how it would have played out 5 years earlier. Nowadays, with the exact same quals I doubt that I could even land a decent job. Well qualified prior to 9/11 could mean being at the bottom of the resume pile today. I'm very grateful for the job I have and to be working for one of the better companies. As I'm finding out, timing and seniority are EVERYTHING in this industry.

Last edited:
I'll second that.

Who would have thought that I'd be watching ITT temps at startup only four months after being laid off from my flight instructing job?

I know it doesn't make sense. I sure am grateful, though!

Life begins at 40 . . . sometimes

I'm glad that you guys did well. I know only from my experiences and those of others I've known. I was 40 and with an ATP and with good multi. Also, for what it was worth, I had a Citation type. I instructed in a respected program(s). My (much) younger colleagues with less time were getting hired by the commuters. I was not. Nothing unique, e.g. 135 time, set them apart from me. I had a friend with excellent quals, several ratings, and who is my age within a few days, who found out that he was rejected, flat out, because of age. This was only a few years ago, during the last hiring gusher.

You go figure it out. I did.

I'd also add that while the interview may get you hired you first have to get the interview. To get the interview you must send in a resume. Try to get the interview when even a commuter H.R. conehead can determine your (older) age from your resume.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back