Women vs. Men in Aviation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
s0ldier93 said:
I was told that a male nurse would be hired hands down over a female one any day of the week. The main reason given was diversity. A predominantly male industry will hire females. And a predominantly female industry will hire males.
Yep. Works everywhere except Hooters and the Spearmint Rhino.

All I really need to know is, how does a person... 'adjust themselves' when in the cockpit with all these female right-seaters now?
Used to be you could 'uh, scuse me' while you re-situated the important bits. Now you have to "hey is there any ice on your side?" while pretending to look out the left window (adjust, adjust), or "I think we are just passing Vegas on your side" while pretending to crane out there window (adjust, adjust).
Tell us, wimen - should we just say, "uh avert your eyes for a minute won't you?". Maybe more talcum powder?

C172gal05 said:
Ok I just gotta ask.... I hear all the time from men that women have a better shot in getting jobs because we are women..yet the women (very few) that I have talked to all snap back quick with a no way...women still have just as hard of a time as men?? Does it seem that way because it is still a male dominated field??
Love to hear what everyone thinks!!
If a woman can do it, it's not a man's job.

GravityHater said:
All I really need to know is, how does a person... 'adjust themselves' when in the cockpit with all these female right-seaters now?
Used to be you could 'uh, scuse me' while you re-situated the important bits. Now you have to "hey is there any ice on your side?" while pretending to look out the left window (adjust, adjust), or "I think we are just passing Vegas on your side" while pretending to crane out there window (adjust, adjust).
Tell us, wimen - should we just say, "uh avert your eyes for a minute won't you?". Maybe more talcum powder?
one more reason why I don't let kids fly me in a jet...keep up the good work.

Hugh Jorgan said:
A vagina, especially one surrounded by darker than average skin, besides appealing more to me, seems to appeal more to those in the hiring departments than the average pale penis.

Yeahbut....for those who smoke, some still prefer a White Owl. ;)

C172gal05,

You should just do a search on this topic and you will find more hot rhetoric than you could possibly stand.

If you are intending to pursue aviation as a career be you a woman or a man it is going to take a lot of hard work, period!

There will be times when it will appear that people of lesser ability of either sex will get opportunities prior to or instead of people that on first impression would be better qualified. It just doesn't matter. It's best not to let this phenomena keep you up nights. There are many different factors involved in pilot selection by different companies. I don't know anyone that can make any sense of it.

There still is gender issues that will for the most part always be present. I am always denying their existence. I always give everyone the benefit of the doubt so I am always floored when I have to face those issues. As a woman in aviation you will have to face discrimination and prejudice. Get used to it, delevop a thicker skin and do your best NOT to perpetuate negative stereotypes.

If you are going to pursue a career in aviation just keep you nose to the grindstone, work hard, be professional, and carry your own weight. This goes for anyone.

Take Care, Good Luck & Fly Safe!

yet the women (very few) that I have talked to all snap back quick with a no way...

Failure to admit reality and denial. . Most can see they are given preferential shortcuts, etc, during the hiring process. Fortunately it is a numbers game and they are and will always be in the very very small minority.

Do women and minorities get preferential treatment in hiring? You bet they do. If a white male with 2000 hours and a black woman with 2000 hours interview for the same job, you can bet your a$$ that 95% of the time, the black woman is going to get the job because they're a minority and it makes the employer look better to hire minorities. I've seen first hand MANY examples of minorities getting jobs over more qualified majorities simply because they're minorities. It's nothing but discrimination, plain and simple. Affirmative action is just as wrong as hiring someone because they're white (which was the standard practice for a LONG time). The best qualified person should get the job. Period. End of discussion.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back