Woman sues Southwest over large passengers policy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CaptJax

Southwest Airlines is being criticized for its policy are larger passengers. (AP file)

A New Orleans woman who said she was called “too fat to fly” at a Southwest gate last year is now filing a lawsuit demanding the carrier clarify its policies on larger passengers.

Kenlie Tiggeman considered Southwest’s “Customers of Size” policy too inconsistent, having been told at least twice that she would be unable to fit in their seats and other times flying on the airline with no problem at all. She said she has not had issues on other airlines.

New Orleans news station WDSU, which was unable to reach Southwest for comment, wrote:

In a petition and application for injunctive relief, she alleges Southwest violated her “constitutional rights” and engages in a practice of “discriminatory actions toward obese customers.”

As a consumer, Tiggeman said she has a right to know the rules at the point of purchase.

“We need to know what the rules are,” Tiggeman said. “We need to know if we need one seat or two, because this eyeballing happening at the gate is incredibly discriminatory, and it’s so unnecessary.”

Southwest indicates that “customers who encroach upon any part of the neighboring seat(s) should proactively book the needed number of seats prior to travel… (to) ensure that all Customers onboard have access to safe and comfortable seating.” The airlines’ seats are 17 inches wide, and passengers may not extend beyond the armrest in between seats.

Tiggeman expands on her reasoning behind the lawsuit in her own blog, AlltheWeigh.com. A similar suit was filed by a passenger 20 years ago and was dismissed.

Tiggeman’s incident occurred about a year after celebrity director Kevin Smith (aka Silent Bob) was “ejected” by a Southwest pilot for being unable to fit properly in his seat. Southwest apologized to both passengers and offered refunds and vouchers.

In other news, next week, every airline will be placing a sample seat for ass sizing right next to the unused carry on bag sizer device.

In other news, next week, every airline will be placing a sample seat for ass sizing right next to the unused carry on bag sizer device.

:laugh: Good one!

I can see the looks when people are asked to placed their bag in the bag sizer and their butt in the ass sizer. So long as every passenger has to take their turn in the seat, there would be no "size" discrimination.

Hey, maybe there's a product idea here. Be the first to build and deliver the "Ass Sizer 100" and sell it to the airlines. Build in a scale (hidden to the user) and transmit the data real time to the airframe's data center and you'll also have an exact passenger W&B calculated. If it is a smaller airframe with a narrow CG range, well, the Ass Sizer 100 could reassign seats as required. Also build in a vibrator; that way you might have fewer customer complaints. Of course, some may not want to get off the Ass Sizer 100 and increase delays, so the vibrator may create a different set of complaints.

Seems like several years ago there was a reality show about SWA. I can recall seeing part of an episode where the gate agent or some such person was having to make the call on a "COS" - Customer of Size. I thought it was good to refer to them as a Customer of Size because to call them a Passenger of Size would give you an acronym with an entirely different connotation :)

Lady, if you are too big to fit in a seat, you're too big to fit in a seat. If you want to be angry at someone, look in the mirror.

Last edited:
Can someone who had to sit next to her on a flight counter sue her please? Clearly she must have caused great discomfort and intruded on the space of others.

She may have got on flights that were not full and had an "A" boarding pass where the gate agent has the choice to use discretion knowing quite well that no one in there right mind would sit beside a person of this size. On flights that are full then the gate agent has to follow company policy. I saw this last Wednesday in SAN where the person in front of me was in excess of 300lbs and the gate agent asked him if he had bought two seats and he said I am able to get into one. She told him if the flight was full he would be asked to leave and get another flight. He sat in the isle seat and was pouring out of both sides. The FA had a discussion with him as well and he was lucky there one seat left - guess it was beside him.
“LOOK IN THE MIRROR” mirror mirrow on the wall can I fit in an airline seat –NO

What are other companies policies on this?

:laugh: Good one!

I can see the looks when people are asked to placed their bag in the bag sizer and their butt in the ass sizer. So long as every passenger has to take their turn in the seat, there would be no "size" discrimination.

:)

For fans of the tv show The Deadliest Catch, you are familiar with the plastic thing to measure crabs to make sure they're big enough... Just design one that is as wide as the seat and hold it up to the butt. You'd be a millionaire!

Back to lurking...

C17D

Latest resources

Back