• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

"..With You.."

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This kind of thread surfaces every few years...Its such an inane subject but it sure gets people's undies in a bunch. Kind of like Dogs vs. Cats.

Just my observation.

prs

Heard from a controller today over northern Florida "The ride pretty much sucks at all altitudes from 240 to 420"

Now there's some pretty outstanding standard terminology!

trashhauler said:
Heard from a controller today over northern Florida "The ride pretty much sucks at all altitudes from 240 to 420"

Now there's some pretty outstanding standard terminology!

I heard a similar one with Houston Center one day. There was some military flight on VHF. They were cutting in and out. The controller gave them the frequency 4 or 5 times. I think he finally got a read-back he could understand on the last try. His response was, "XXX, you're still breaking up, but I think I got it. Transmitter still sucks."

Try Denver today..

Denver CO [KDEN] special observation on the 3rd at 5:26pm MDT (2326Z)
wind 360° at 17 knots gusting to 38 knots, visibility 1 miles, thunderstorms with rain, 1,000 feet scattered, broken cumulonimbus at 5,500 feet, 9,000 feet overcast, temperature 13°C (55°F), dewpoint 10°C (50°F), altimeter 29.52 FUNNEL CLOUD B56 FUNNEL CLOUD E02, automated station with precipitation discriminator, peak wind 340° at 48 knots occurred at 5:24pm MDT (2324Z), wind shift at 5:08pm MDT (2308Z), rain began at 17 minutes past the hour, frequent lightning cloud-to-ground W-N, thunderstorms W-N and VC SW MOV NE, cumulonimbus within 10 miles S-N MOV NE, less than 1.1 inch (water equivalent) of precipitation in the previous hour.

---

Aurora CO (Buckley AFB) [KBKF] corrected special observation on the 3rd at 5:08pm MDT (2308Z)
wind 330° at 11 knots gusting to 16 knots, visibility 10 miles, thunderstorms with light rain, 1,000 feet few, broken cumulonimbus at 5,000 feet, 15,000 feet broken, 25,000 feet overcast, temperature 14°C (57°F), dewpoint 14°C (57°F), 0°C spread, altimeter 29.64, frequent lightning in cloud and cloud-to-cloud and cloud-to-ground and, thunderstorms 3SW MOV NE, cumulonimbus 9NE MOV NE, pressure rising rapidly WR// COR 2312.

---

Denver CO (Centennial) [KAPA] hourly observation on the 3rd at 4:53pm MDT (2253Z)
wind 310° at 15 knots gusting to 24 knots, visibility 1 1/4 miles, thunderstorms with small hail and/or snow pellets and rain, mist, 1,300 feet few, 4,100 feet scattered, overcast cumulonimbus at 5,500 feet, temperature 11°C (52°F), dewpoint 8°C (46°F), altimeter 29.67, automated station with precipitation discriminator, peak wind 320° at 32 knots occurred at 4:40pm MDT (2240Z), wind shift at 4:38pm MDT (2238Z), rain began at 47 minutes past the hour, small hail and/or snow pellets began at 47 minutes past the hour, sea level pressure 29.57" Hg (1001.3 hPa), frequent lightning cloud-to-ground overhead, thunderstorms overhead moving northeast, cumulonimbus moving northeast, 0.15 inch (water equivalent) of precipitation in the previous hour, temperature 10.6°C (51.1°F), dewpoint 8.3°C (46.9°F).

Time for a cold cold cold big beer !

What a hoot. No big deal but ya gotta agree that "with you" is pretty useless but if you enjoy using it - whatever. It ranks along with a previously mentioned "traffic permitting" or "if able" attached to requests to ATC. I have also noticed "any chance" has now replaced the more meaningful "requesting" but so what.

I passed through an airport yesterday using multiple crossing runways for take-offs and landings. Some Lear-Jet got cleared for take-off. His response was "Here we go, LearJet (234)". I think a take-off clearance is too important a clearance to butcher up that way and the response should always include the words "cleared for take-off" but ....that's just me.

Last edited:
Captain 7 said:
It is very redundant and dumb to ever use the phrase "with you" in your radio transmission to an ATC controller. He certainly realizes that you are "with him" by the mere fact you are speaking to him! It is such a student pilot phrase yet an incredible number of professional pilots use that useles pathetic phrase and waste radio time with it. Pay attention to how often you hear it and think how dumb it is each time. I especially like it when a pilot emphasizes the 'you' part in "with you"...as if he could possibly be talking to someone else and the phrase clears up any misunderstanding (but how would anyone know??) And while we're at it, lets drop the phrase "any chance" when requesting something. Just request it, it's not a bookie joint.

Also - if ATC asks for your speed, just tell him. If he needs to change it, he'll certainly tell you. There is no need to add the addendum "...what do you need?"

Thanks.
I'm with you dude. However I calculate it took you 3 minutes to formulate that thought and 1 minute to type it and that is 4 minutes of your life you will never get back!

My favorite bit of communication is from a recently retired captain of ours.

When ATC gave us a clearance he didn't like he would shout "Holy S h i t!" across the cockpit as I keyed the mike and began reading back the instruction. It really gets the message across.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back