"..With You.."

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Captain 7

It is very redundant and dumb to ever use the phrase "with you" in your radio transmission to an ATC controller. He certainly realizes that you are "with him" by the mere fact you are speaking to him! It is such a student pilot phrase yet an incredible number of professional pilots use that useles pathetic phrase and waste radio time with it. Pay attention to how often you hear it and think how dumb it is each time. I especially like it when a pilot emphasizes the 'you' part in "with you"...as if he could possibly be talking to someone else and the phrase clears up any misunderstanding (but how would anyone know??) And while we're at it, lets drop the phrase "any chance" when requesting something. Just request it, it's not a bookie joint.

Also - if ATC asks for your speed, just tell him. If he needs to change it, he'll certainly tell you. There is no need to add the addendum "...what do you need?"

Thanks.

Last edited:
Captain 7 said:
It is very redundant and dumb to ever use the phrase "with you" in your radio transmission to an ATC controller. He certainly realizes that you arte "with him" by the mere fact you are speaking to him. It is such a student pilot phrase yet an incredible number of professional pilots use that useles and pathetic phrase and waste radio time with it. Pay attention to how often you hear it and think how dumb it is each time. I especially like it when a pilot emphasizes the 'you' part in "with you"...as if he could possibly be talking to someone else and the phrase clears up any misunderstanding (but how would anyone know??) And while we're at it, lots drop the phrase "any chance" when requesting something. Just request it, it's not a bookie joint.

Also - if ATC asks for your speed, just tell him. If he needs to change it, he'll certainly tell you. There is no need to add the addendum "...what do you need?"

Thanks.

Thanks dad

What about g'day?

Is it OK to say g'day or is that also pathetic Captain?

What about pilots starting their radio call with "and" e.g. "and tower, flight 100 with you on the visual 36"

Captain 7 said:

Thanks.

I thought I remember something about ATC not being able to assign a speed less than 210Kts more than 20NM from the airport or less than 170Kts within 20NM (turbojet). If a pilot asks what they need, that might be a way to give ATC the speed they need you at but can't assign.

These sound more like complaints you'd hear from a student pilot rather than a 21,000 hour pilot. Get a life dude. Is it hurting you when people say things like that? I thought not. I'd be willing to bet your phraesology is not up to perfect standards, just like most of us.

You're an idiot.

Now obviously we don't fly around in formations.... so it must be possesive, not plural?????????? "Delta's 234" "United's 123" What's up with that?

I will also add "here we go..." to the list.

--------------------------------------------------------
Is it OK to say g'day or is that also pathetic Captain?
-------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for asking. Nope, but once again, saying "with you" most certainly is! Think about it. I had a controller in the jumpseat (pre 9/11) who even mentioned to me that he thought is was a funny absurdity and always wanted to respond to these guys that "ironicly, he was with them too!".

Last edited:
viper548 said:
I thought I remember something about ATC not being able to assign a speed less than 210Kts more than 20NM from the airport or less than 170Kts within 20NM (turbojet).

Correct.....but, those are RECOMMENDED minimums....I don't know if the ATC handbook specifies any exact numbers as limitations. I've been asked to maintain 150kias before...which we were unable to do. Many times ATC will specify 170kias, or if they need slower they will specify "slow to final approach speed".

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back