• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Wind check!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm trying to figure out why some pilots always ask for wind checks, even on calm wind days.

Umm, because we forgot if the tower said cleared to land or not and would really like to cover up our forgetfulness with another method of getting them to say it again :D .... Of course these days I just type a "C" in the scratch pad of the FMS to remind myself.

TP

At the majority of airports, I've found the controllers will issue the winds in your takeoff or landing clearance. I have asked for a "wind check" when looking at the EFIS and seeing something crazy like 150/55 when I think the controller said 290/10. I'll just confirm what the surface winds are, and plan accordingly for an expected shear, low level wind changes for maintaining localizer or centerline, power changes, etc. However, like said above, those are a wind "average" for the field in some certain time period, and not the winds in the touchdown zone. So I still always search out the windsock on short final to see what direction it's pointing, how rigid it is, and if it's steady state or moving. If I see the windsock, that is what I base my expected crosswind correction on. Even so, I still just fly the airplane and do what feels right. All the formulas, wind checks, and flight computers in the world can't compete against "feel" and knowing what the airplane is telling you. Just my two cents.

FlyChicaga said:
So I still always search out the windsock on short final to see what direction it's pointing, how rigid it is, and if it's steady state or moving.
Do y'all only land on runways that have a windsock on the approach end? Apparently I've been going to all the wrong airports, or at least landing in the wrong direction. Even if there IS a windsock in the vicinity of the runway I'm using, it's rarely lit well enough at night to be of any use to me anyway. All I have to go by, other than the winds calls from tower or ATIS (or cneter if tower's closed) is the crab angle on final.

hmmmmmm

I never got any AA manuals (just a big brown box with a furlough letter inside... ;) ). I don't recall any requirement to ask for a wind check, though.

They are probably using the chart in the manual that uses the wind differential from runway heading, taking into account wind speed, to determine how many degrees left or right of centerline to turn the airplane on approach given the reported wind.

Maybe they should try this--on final, keep the plane from drifting off the centerline by angling the longitudinal axis of the fuselage to prevent drift. That will tell you which way the wind is blowing. Then as you get near the runway, use the rud...

Oh, never mind. I think I lost them. ;) TC

English said:
I'm trying to figure out why some pilots always ask for wind checks, even on calm wind days. I don't mean the occasional squirrelly approach where you can tell something is off. I mean every single leg. Can't they tell what the wind is by the way the plane is flying? And if not, can't they see the windsock?

This is the million dollar question in ATL? :)

TonyC said:
Do y'all only land on runways that have a windsock on the approach end? Apparently I've been going to all the wrong airports, or at least landing in the wrong direction. Even if there IS a windsock in the vicinity of the runway I'm using, it's rarely lit well enough at night to be of any use to me anyway. All I have to go by, other than the winds calls from tower or ATIS (or cneter if tower's closed) is the crab angle on final.

Nah, it's not needed. But like most things, if it's there, I use it.

I usually ask for wind checks at SDL when you have been doing pattern work on 03 and the wind shifted to 210 degrees and they keep landing you with a tailwind until you inform them.they are not the sharpest knives in the drawer.other than that when the summer monsoon is active and its fun to hear wind variable 220 to 050 at 25 gusting to 45.not that knowing the direction helps my landings.

Latest resources

Back