• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Wilmington Cat 2's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think the point of the discussion was the hazards of operating in uncontrolled airports in IFR conditions. What color the fluids where that ended up on the ground after 908 had the tail ripped off was not really important. TIC

If you say so. What happened at SWF was not uncontrolled airspace, just non-radar if memory serves. Even so, the system broke down. Had Rosy called the twr at the marker as instructed (or even a bit inside) they would have been told to go around. They didn't, and the result is history. Nobody was hurt, thank (insert your choice of deity), and so now there are some amusing stories we can all chuckle about.

What we used to do at ILN was fly the approach, cancel in the air if landing was assured (i.e. runway in sight) or on the ground (and clear of the runway in CAT II) otherwise. Dayton would not let the next aircraft in line past the FAF (or GSI point) until the preceeding aircraft had cancelled, either in the air (which in turn meant the vis was good enough to see an aircraft still on the runway and miss) or on the ground and clear of the runway. I can't see why they wouldn't let us go back to that.

Last edited:
If you say so. What happened at SWF was not uncontrolled airspace, just non-radar if memory serves. Even so, the system broke down. Had Rosy called the twr at the marker as instructed (or even a bit inside) they would have been told to go around. They didn't, and the result is history. Nobody was hurt, thank (insert your choice of deity), and so now there are some amusing stories we can all chuckle about.

What we used to do at ILN was fly the approach, cancel in the air if landing was assured (i.e. runway in sight) or on the ground (and clear of the runway in CAT II) otherwise. Dayton would not let the next aircraft in line past the FAF (or GSI point) until the preceeding aircraft had cancelled, either in the air (which in turn meant the vis was good enough to see an aircraft still on the runway and miss) or on the ground and clear of the runway. I can't see why they wouldn't let us go back to that.

Thanks for clearing that up all knowing Eric, your opinion as to if it is safe or not. (non radar) I for one would take radar and a tower any nite over non radar and not having a tower which was the point of this discussion. But you are the expert. Believe it or not some of us have also operated in those environments.

Thanks for clearing that up all knowing Eric, your opinion as to if it is safe or not. (non radar)

There you go again doggy, making assumptions and jumping to conclusions. I didn't express any opinon as to the respective safety of a radar vs non-radar operation. I simply suggested we could go back to the way we used to operate. A number of under or lightly utilized airports still operate that way.

I for one would take radar and a tower any nite over non radar and not having a tower which was the point of this discussion.

You might want to re-read the start of the thread.

But you are the expert.

Thanks for the vote of confidence :D but I was simply doing what everyone else here does, putting in my .02 worth.

Believe it or not some of us have also operated in those environments.

No doubt. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back