• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Will VLJ Jets hurt Fractionals?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If the VLJ's are flown by competent, current and professional pilots then I think they will be a good addition to the industry. It will be the Doctor, Lawyer, Real Estate purveyor that thinks he is a "Jet Pilot" that will give them a bad name. This is the same crowd flying the Barons, King Airs, and such that will create the problem. Hopefully the insurance rules and rates will limit the occasional "Jet Pilot" from killing people. Time will only tell where this goes. I don't practice medicine on the side!

NJA Irony

NJA Capt said:
Think we will get in the back of a VLJ with the 500hr wonders? NOT. Move over Skippy, I'll drive.

PA-LEASE! How hard is it to fly a jet. How many hours do you need to have a commercial ticket, 250 I believe? You guys think because you fly a jet its some top secret super dooper job. Anybody can fly a jet, my kids could do it if they could see over the dash...

Get off your high horse "All Mighty Jet Driver", your nothing special.

Here boys, eat your left shoe,

Bibliography:

Archie says,

That is absolutely hilarious. The G-4 is so advanced and its mission so difficult to master that it will require 2 years IOE for any incoming Capt.......please excuse my laughter.

Diesel says,

International flying isn't hard. Make sure you've done you're homework, be prepared and be ready for language barriers which can be eased by learning a few words.

DO-82 driver says,

Please don't try and make what you do as some great mystery. Its not!!!!

Pervis says,

Type of flying and experience is moot.

JPPT2000 says,

Seems like the same old song and dance: beat the drum and chant about how difficult and demanding it is to fly internationally.
Exclude everyone else so that only a select few "experienced" folks can do the job.

GoingHot said:
Sounds like a job for a King Air.

And that's exactly the market they are trying to replace with lower cost, lower maint, more efficient aircraft. They'll have about the same mission profile and do it for (a claimed) 50+% reduction in cost. I don't see it eating greatly into the fractional business. They are more going to replace the Pt 91 King Airs, 421s and Navajos where the mission profile is 600 nm or less and one to three execs or salesmen being dropped off and returned the same day. The guys who would like a Citation Mustang, but just can't justify the bottom line, and need the flexibility of having a plane in the hangar at very short call.

wolfpackpilot said:
PA-LEASE! How hard is it to fly a jet. How many hours do you need to have a commercial ticket, 250 I believe? You guys think because you fly a jet its some top secret super dooper job. Anybody can fly a jet, my kids could do it if they could see over the dash...

Get off your high horse "All Mighty Jet Driver", your nothing special.
Wolfy is right. 500 hr pilots fly across the pacific and refuel off tankers or land on ships.

I think after about 200 hrs in a different plane... I don't get much better after that.

But these VLJs... we would need a Falcon or Gulfstream to follow and carry the baggage

Last edited:
wolfpackpilot said:
PA-LEASE! How hard is it to fly a jet. How many hours do you need to have a commercial ticket, 250 I believe?

The insurance companies may beg to differ.

Wolfpackpilot worked at the commuters long enough to know how much of a difference experience makes -- and if not experience, then certainly maturity.

Naturally, I disagree with him. I too feel unsafe as a passenger on the regionals.

It's nice to see that wolfpackpilot is comparing international flying to VLJ flying. Pretty much shoots the gulfstream argument in the foot doesn't it?

Diesel said:
It's nice to see that wolfpackpilot is comparing international flying to VLJ flying. Pretty much shoots the gulfstream argument in the foot doesn't it?

Sooo,

Are you saying you'd hop in the back of "Goobers Air Taxi Service" (sorry, couldnt think of a better name) with two 500 hour guys (or gals) and let them fly you into Aspen at night in one of those new fancy VLJ's?

Of course, quid pro qou would have them both "qualified" by the FAA and insurance company.....

Latest resources

Back