Will VLJ Jets hurt Fractionals?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Cigar

Has there been any studies regarding the impact of future VLJ air taxi operators on fractional jet ownership? Are any of the fractional companies getting into the VLJ air taxi business? According to vljpilottraining.com it looks ERAU may be getting into the VLJ training business which makes me think the VLJ business may be as big as what they hype it up to be.

I really doubt that the VLJ revolution will hurt the fractionals. For one simple fact, the people who fly in the back of my jet have no desire to drive the thing. They want fast and little hassle. The VLJ isn't fast, (and don't try and tell me it is fast, it isn't jet fast) and if you load it up with two pilots and some fuel, well you aren't carrying many paxs. And let's not even get into climb gradients and such.....

I see it as more of a replacement for Barons or King Air owner/operator. I believe this will be the Bonaza of this generation. Meaning people with too much money and too little skill buying something they aren't qualified to fly. Keep in mind it is still a jet.

NJA has said over and over that isn't going to get into that market since there is no profit margin after you factor in pilot salaries, maintance, fuel etc. They say they are going to let other people try it and see how it goes. I believe those people that try it will fail, but time will tell.

Apples and oranges!!!

It would be like a CEO or Rock Star going to Budget and renting a Neon!!

if the thing takes off and fractionals will think they can buy money they will just buy a bunch of them. Simple

Publishers said:
It could well effect the people likle Marqui cards if they do not participate.

Ok, I'll bite, how is it going to effect Marquis?? You fail to realize several points. Marquis isn't going to participate since the jets they use are Netjets planes.

1. The VLJ is small. Too small for most of the people we haul.
2. The VLJ is slow. .64 Mach is or whatever the mach number, is slow.
3. Range is limited. More limited then what the makers are saying, because they aren't going to get the choice flight levels, because of see above.
4. Baggage is limited.

The people may try it, but the first time they can't take their 3 kids the nanny and enough luggage to fill a pickup they will blow a gasket and be back.

Remember one thing about human nature it is very hard to go backwards.

RNObased said:
Ok, I'll bite, how is it going to effect Marquis?? You fail to realize several points. Marquis isn't going to participate since the jets they use are Netjets planes.

1. The VLJ is small. Too small for most of the people we haul.
2. The VLJ is slow. .64 Mach is or whatever the mach number, is slow.
3. Range is limited. More limited then what the makers are saying, because they aren't going to get the choice flight levels, because of see above.
4. Baggage is limited.

The people may try it, but the first time they can't take their 3 kids the nanny and enough luggage to fill a pickup they will blow a gasket and be back.

Remember one thing about human nature it is very hard to go backwards.

Two points:

1. Air taxi services using the VLJ (e.g., "DayJet" Eclipse Jet) is a new concept that might catch on regionally - not meant to be transcon. I have read that this service might be ideal for quick, same-day trips within your region. Small business teams that would otherwise use fractional or 135 operators to operate into non tier-1 airfields could be potential users. Still I agree that the number of potential customers would be small at first.

2. Speed is not such a big deal in some regions like the Northeast which is full of chronic delays during both the winter and summer. If your travel requirements include primarily flying between BOS/BED-NYC-DC/BWI-PHL-PIT then perhaps you won't need Citation X speed because that won't help... Speed becomes an issue on long-range trips - not necessarily regional trips (i.e., just within the Northeast).

Check out www.dayjet.com - I am not affiliated with them at all but I think it is an interesting concept. They are ordering a lot of jets - let's hope for their case that their predictions come to fruition... Should be interesting to watch.

Last edited:
Netjets lite. Tier two fractional ownership. Air-taxi will set the infrastructure and make a go of it, run it into the crapper or succeed. Either way Uncle Warren buys it and then pits two pilot groups against eachother. Netjets lite guys get paid crap but they're all 23 year old SJS'ers and still have stars in their eyes. You guys are now Mainline. You already have the five hubs and the VLJs will be the spokes. The regional jet of fractional flying. Fancy contracts will get you from podunk USA to anywhere on the planet. The real money will still live in the big iron but they could make a reach for the wannabe money players by helping them get their feet wet.

I know it's a big reach, but would anything surprise you anymore?

actually our scope in our new contract says that ANY flying is now done by NJA. Managed stuff is still EJM. But any schedueled, VLJ, and the gulfstreams are now, will be and are NJA.

I believe vlj will replace the single turbo prop corporate aircraft. Of course NJ has the contract covered, but for the hours for pilots and insurance requirements, they will be the same.
I also believe the "weekend warrior" business owner singlepilot will be in for a serious puckering in IFR....in turn hiring a SIC to help out.
A corporate department use's AC for the mission and it could be a part of the arsenal, but air taxi's having a 20 year old in a jet getting 14.00 hour, yea I can see it.

Latest resources

Back