• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Will SWA and AT truly merge?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So you're cool with Airtran Captains that are 4 YEARS junior to our junior Captains taking that last of the Captain slots over 10 YEAR SWA FO's?

And you're cool with Craig having 1700 guys put in front of him?

Wow.

We won't be "taking" anything, we will be keeping the seat we are currently occupying and you keep your seniority. When new positions open up, you can upgrade based on your seniority. Those senior AirTran FOs inside the fence could be ratioed to upgrade within the current 3 AirTran bases. After two years, it becomes open season.

SWADude offered a solution which I found plausible and immediately you shoot it down. As I have already stated, go ahead and be honest (I don't care) and say you want a staple because that is exactly what I'm reading from your post.

Last edited:
Is it true some of your scabs are trying to repay their past union dues so they are in good standing with the union. How many do you have over there?

There won't be relative seat seniority. Forget it. Just like there won't be a staple. Take what you get from SWAPA because if you don't then someone else might take your seat and I think you know what that means. SWA management will get involved.

Last edited:
So you're cool with Airtran Captains that are 4 YEARS junior to our junior Captains taking that last of the Captain slots over 10 YEAR SWA FO's?

And you're cool with Craig having 1700 guys put in front of him?

I didn't say anything of the sort. All what has been discovered is that there are points in the middle.

A staple is not going to happen. Neither is relative seniority. This forum will only be as good as feeling out the other side. What I have got so far with certainty is that the AT guys don't feel like the SWA guys are giving up anything. They look at increases as a natural given. SWA guys feel like the AT guys are getting a windfall without the appreciation of all we have earned in the past to help this airline be the most successful airline in the history of the universe.

Seniority is the only issue to be resolved. It will settle somewhere in the middle. This truly is an exercise in mental gymnastics. Nothing will come of this. BUT talk seriously to all you buds, people you fly with and the guys you pass the jet to or take it from and get them energized to call or write their union reps and leaders. I do. Several times already. We have much to lose if our union does not do their job right.

Our current contract only specifies that a seperate ops can be in place no longer that 24 months in the event of a merger or aquisition.

That is not true. That is for merger only. That is under Section 1 part C "MERGERS AND FRAGMENTATION".

Section 1 part E "PURCHASE OR ACQUISITION OF ANOTHER COMPANY" has no requirement for limiting separate operations.

Those senior AirTran FOs inside the fence could be ratioed to upgrade within the current 3 AirTran bases. After two years, it becomes open season.

LMAO...not only do you think that 6 yr. AAI guys should keep their CA seat over 9 year SWA guys (at least it's somewhere in the universe of plausibility), now you are saying your "senior" F/O's (what is that, 5 yrs?) should upgrade ahead of senior SWA F/O's with 4 yrs. more longevity?!? Ladies and gentleman, Elvis has left the building! (and he took common sense with him when he went)

Amazed and Confused,
PapaWoody

The fact that you guys are using USAirways' lawyer is not good news for anyone. He is known to take extreme and unrealistic positions and never move. I'm wondering if the extreme positions adopted by AII guys on this message board are the result of his coaching.

Ironically, I believe that the position the Airtran lawyer will take, may be exactly the same position SWAPA's lawyer has taken in the past. Should be interesting.

Seniority is the only issue to be resolved. It will settle somewhere in the middle. This truly is an exercise in mental gymnastics. Nothing will come of this. BUT talk seriously to all you buds, people you fly with and the guys you pass the jet to or take it from and get them energized to call or write their union reps and leaders. I do. Several times already. We have much to lose if our union does not do their job right.

Why does SWAPA not even get a small bump in rates out of this merger? That would help them swallow the SLI at least an unforcasted pay raise.
When DAL and NWA merged, the NWA rates came way up to DAL's and all got some small raises to smooth over the process.
I see no reason why SWAPA is just content with accepting their current contract with this SLI on the horizon.
LUV

LMAO...not only do you think that 6 yr. AAI guys should keep their CA seat over 9 year SWA guys (at least it's somewhere in the universe of plausibility), now you are saying your "senior" F/O's (what is that, 5 yrs?) should upgrade ahead of senior SWA F/O's with 4 yrs. more longevity?!? Ladies and gentleman, Elvis has left the building! (and he took common sense with him when he went)

Amazed and Confused,
PapaWoody

It's all good Woodrow, it's just a suggestion that I feel could make both sides happy if they are reasonable. The upgrades and fences could be tweaked if you like.

As far as pilots getting booting out of their positions. If you research almost every single mediated seniority list, you will find that people stay in their respective seats. Even AA/TWA had STL fenced off with people keeping their seats, (the problem was AA shrunk STL to oblivion). I would suggest you guys be a little bit more realistic that we will not be seat warmers for your senior FOs.

My final word on the subject will be, DOH with seat protections. With that I will bid you all, adieu. But just like MacArthur in the Philippines, I shall return, b!tches!

This just in a spoke with a rocket scientist last night. They said hold onto your ankles everyone, and if you can't reach start stretching now, early and often, because it is going to get worse before it gets better.

They also said buy some white paint and a brush for the yearly maintenance for your new fence. The less agreeable the terms of SLI the longer there will be yearly maintenance for upkeep.

Other than that they said the Cowboys will still suck this year. Good day

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back