Will Spirit Survive if they WalK?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
different view

He11, if that post doesn't show your management slant, I don't know what does. Killing mutual aid was an ALPA success. Mutual aid gave the shut down airline a source of revenue "to allow employees to stay out on strike a longer time.". As if that's a good thing? The RLA is so stacked in management's favor that the only recourse airline pilots have is the threat of a strike. How long has TSA been trying to get a contract, for example? Is that how the RLA should work? Mutual aid was yet ANOTHER tool in management's tool belt to screw over labor. Good thing it's gone.
Remember I am management, as if training is really management, by unemployment. I take a different view, having lived through that age. By allowing a company to survive jobs were saved high paying jobs at that. The union knew there would be limits to their demands. When mutual aid went away, a company was now forced to settle on terms it could not afford, because it knew it would close the doors after X weeks. This particularly true now days where very little is owned by an airline and everything is leased resulting in huge payments due almost daily. The result of this strike threat was to accept terms they could not live with and resulted in BK. The airlines hoped that somehow things would work out. As I said it is a different view, having worked at two privately held unions airline that are now out of business, I would be worried if I was a Spirit pilot in my mid 50’s. Thank you for your civil discord. BTW I have a lot of friends from JUS that work at Spirit, they do not have the best management team in the business. It could be a better place to work.

What are the chances if the pilots walk the company will survive?

Spirit's survival is entirely dependent upon Spirit's management and ownership. The pilot group is making reasonable wage and work rule requests but the company has driven the group towards a strike in times of economic success (for Spirit at least). The company must believe one of two things; either the pilots will cave in at the 11th hour or that Spirit can survive whatever strike the pilots can maintain. As others have said, any other outcome would result in shutting down a profitable venture and that just doesn't pass the smell test.

Why did the MEC specifically ask for other carriers to pick up there flying if they go out, and this flying would not be considered struck work? Is this not certain death to Spirit? Is this what the pilot group wants or just the MEC?
I think the vast majority of the pilot group has decided that Spirit management will eventually drive us into the ground and with that realization we have decided to fight them now instead of later. After the mis-treatment we've suffered the last three years at the companies hand, we just wont take it anymore. This release is our only chance to stand up for ourselves and we realize that a loss here will result in empowering Spirit's oppressive management to continue the flogging. It may be hard for outsiders to understand, but Spirit management has pushed too far and the result is a militant pilot group that is willing to take what seems to be a "mutually assured destruction" position.

How many times has ALPA been sucessful in a strike? How many times have they failed?

Flame away, but I think all valid questions and not meant as flame bait.
Don't know the answer, but I'm sure someone does. Personally I'd rather not add to the list of failed strikes, but sometimes you have to play the cards you were dealt and Spirit Airlines is too arrogant to trash the deal and do it again.

and No, I don't consider it flame bait. From the outside, it must look pretty silly for us to be striking in the current economy and job situation.

One thing people need to thoroughly understand is the depth of the BS that Spirit management has spread out these last few years. Unilaterally changing the contractual day off provision, promoting 709 rides against it's own pilots, carpet dances for stupid reasons like using the commuter clause (scheduler didn't understand the program so they NOI'd the pilot), and much much more. This is in addition to the fact that we work under a contract that is essentially a 1990 Midway Airlines contract with even less pay.

OBTW, If anyone sees this as an opportunity to get a "good" job, that is to scab. You must know that Spirit can't be trusted.

nice job

Spirit's survival is entirely dependent upon Spirit's management and ownership. The pilot group is making reasonable wage and work rule requests but the company has driven the group towards ..........addition to the fact that we work under a contract that is essentially a 1990 Midway Airlines contract with even less pay.

OBTW, If anyone sees this as an opportunity to get a "good" job, that is to scab. You must know that Spirit can't be trusted.
Excellent post, I think you hit it right on the head. Hoping for the best for all.

One of my freinds went through Spirit's "709 thrill ride." One of the worst experience in his 20-yr furlough-filled career. He has nothing good to say about their training department.

BTW, how are those 22-yr-old interns doing in the Airbus and how do they feel about the strike?

From the outside, it must look pretty silly for us to be striking in the current economy and job situation.

Not to me it doesn't. The way you guys are being treated is inane. The only thing management teams like yours (and mine) understand is a strike.

What are the chances if the pilots walk the company will survive?

Why did the MEC specifically ask for other carriers to pick up there flying if they go out, and this flying would not be considered struck work? Is this not certain death to Spirit? Is this what the pilot group wants or just the MEC?

How many times has ALPA been sucessful in a strike? How many times have they failed?

Flame away, but I think all valid questions and not meant as flame bait.

Maybe survival should be something that is considered before anyone WalKs.

Like EAL

Maybe survival should be something that is considered before anyone WalKs.
From reading enigma's post, it is almost that either they want to fix it or put it out of it's misery. They are fully aware of the consequences. Almost like the EAL guys when they walked in 1989. Like I said before if I was a Spirit pilot in my mid 50's I would be worried.

Well Said Enigma. I hope you guys are able to get what you want and MGMT knows this and does what is best for the company as a whole and not just there egos...(sp)

Well Said Enigma. I hope you guys are able to get what you want and MGMT knows this and does what is best for the company as a whole and not just there egos...(sp)

The real irony here is that the pilots would have settled for a small wage increase (compared to the industry) back in 2006 when negotiations began. The ALPA surveys showed a desire for pay, pay, and pay, but the expected increase was fairly small. All most of us wanted was to be able to continue the flying club we used to have and to get a little more cash.

But the company wasn't smart enough to do a deal when they had a happy pilot group and friendly union leadership. Now they must deal with a group that just want's to see the company feel the same pain that they've inflicted on the pilot group.

Latest resources

Back