Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Will Fred Smith hire foreign pilots in a strike?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FlyBoeingJets

YES, that's NICE
Heard this from my FedEx brethren in the reserves.

Pilots like to spread rumors of bad things to come, even if they are far fetched. Like these below. I guess I'm no better than the rest.

1) SWA will cut wages deep or go into BK (furlough) when the hedges run out

2) FedEx/UPS will go contract or foreign pilots in a strike. The only thing holding management back is the pesky contract in place.

3) JetBlue will start losing money and sell airplanes when they have to start paying for maintenance (wait, this one is true)

4) United will kick butt when it comes out of BK after flushing pensions and debt.

5) Frontier will lose its shirt when SWA starts at Denver (half true, only its UAL who is losing)

6) USAir will go away in 6 months (Heard at least 4 times over two years)

Gimme more rumors to ponder....

Whatever you guys do, don't strike until March.

As a feeder pilot, I empathize with you guys, but I am relegated to different master. I got enough crap on my mind besides crossing picket lines and I just want to finish school...believe me, for the same money I could fly a Beech 99 or 1900 at some other place, but I would like to finish school.

On the other side of the coin, if you have something worth fighting for go for it.

Good luck guys.

FN FAL said:
I got enough crap on my mind besides crossing picket lines and I just want to finish school...
Unless you are crossing a FedEx picket line to fly a B-727, DC-10, A-300, or MD-11 then you have nothing to worry about.

Flying a Caravan for an Express feeder has nothing to do with a potential strike at FedEx. Fly it all night long. You would still not be a scab.

FlyBoeingJets said:
Heard this from my FedEx brethren in the reserves.

Pilots like to spread rumors of bad things to come, even if they are far fetched. Like these below. I guess I'm no better than the rest.

1) SWA will cut wages deep or go into BK (furlough) when the hedges run out

2) FedEx/UPS will go contract or foreign pilots in a strike. The only thing holding management back is the pesky contract in place.

3) JetBlue will start losing money and sell airplanes when they have to start paying for maintenance (wait, this one is true)

4) United will kick butt when it comes out of BK after flushing pensions and debt.

5) Frontier will lose its shirt when SWA starts at Denver (half true, only its UAL who is losing)

6) USAir will go away in 6 months (Heard at least 4 times over two years)

Gimme more rumors to ponder....

The only thing worse than Airline CEO's and Airline executives making predictions about the future of the various airlines is airline pilots doing it.

I dont know who has a worse track record. Airline Execs or Airline pilots.

FlyBoeingJets said:
2) FedEx/UPS will go contract or foreign pilots in a strike. The only thing holding management back is the pesky contract in place. ....

more crap...this was tried before the last contract problem we had....name another contract carrier that is cat2 and 3 capable with a support system like fdx....i'll help u..none....other carriers were breaking down all over the system and going to alternates all over the world reaking havoc....customers were pissed off and many..especially in asia...told fred if we are paying a premium price for fedex then we want fedex planes and fedex pilots...the next flights were fedex ones....like i said..more crap rumors...

Dangerkitty said:
Flying a Caravan for an Express feeder has nothing to do with a potential strike at FedEx. Fly it all night long.
Night flying? We're not US Check, dagnappit. But I hear what you are saying.

What's it been, two years now for FedEx and about five or six years for UPS? Regarding contracts that is?

Guys,

Remember page one of Wall Street Journal a week or two back? Foreign airlines are hiring American captains (along with Brits, Aussies, and others) because THEY DON'T HAVE ENOUGH EXPERIENCED CAPTAINS TO DO THE JOB!

Been to an Air Inc session lately? I have...and there are recruiters there from several foreign carriers as well as leasing companies looking for American pilots to relocate for 3, 5 or longer year contracts.

So--do I think the company can stall and create problems? Yes. Am I currently worried about a ramp full of Chinese, Indian, or Malay pilots? Not for 10-15 years. Down the road...maybe...but right now we've got a thriving business up in MSP training guys getting them ready for interviews at JALWAYs, Korean Airlines, Emirates, Cathay, and a host of others. As Capt Mark alluded to...night freight/catIII ops with the reliability we require is a challenge. I think finding a diverse mix of foreign pilots to walk in and take over (in very short order) is unrealistic right now. Contract 2015? Maybe. I think our biggest threat would be a lack of unity, and so far signs are encouraging that won't be the case.

My negotiating committee speaks for me. (And if you need some 747 sim time...call us...)

Funny how everyone will unregard this post. I think as pilots we tend to miss the big picture about our careers. We know we NEED the big picture while we are flying, but no one wants to think about the "unthinkable". Five years ago if you would have told me that SWA was going to be a cash cow, Fed-Ex was going to be industry leading and DL, NW, UA were all going to be bankrupt, lose pensions and their future be undefined...we all would have told you to pack sand (or something else)

Rumors or not. Your job and your medical are fragile.....it is funny to see when you chuck a spear at SWA or FED-Ex, most pilots will start chucking back, stating that their jobs our secure and nothing will ever happen. Yes I'll agree that some are more secure than others right now, but anything can happen.

I too think the foreign pilot thing, en masse, is totally ridiculous. The mail contract sinks that whole idea (just thought of that this morning).

The danger is a nibbling at the edges thing. But that won't happen as long as FedEx stays out of BK and the union has contract and negotiating power.

The furloughed AA pilots think foreign ownership rules being proposed are another nose under the tent. They worry about foreign pilots taking their jobs, perhaps slowly at first. But once the gates open, it could get ugly. I think this proposition is unlikely.

But the codeshare issues now facing every major pax carrier are potential trouble.

Could all U.S. major airlines one day have Company pilots on the domestic routes and foreign or contract pilots on their international routes????

I used to think the above was far fetched. But doesn't NWA and DAL do a ton of codesharing??? SWA does codesharing to Hawaii now.

Last edited:
FlyBoeingJets said:
Could all U.S. major airlines one day have Company pilots on the domestic routes and foreign or contract pilots on their international routes????

Think Star Alliance, One World, or Sky Team. The potential is there.

Latest resources

Back