• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Will Ameriflight get Cash For Colts?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The only engine failure I had when I was a "blue shirted hooligan" was in one of the venerable americolts ("old smokey" as I called it). Engine parts were strewn all over 3400N street (or whatever it was) in Twin Falls. I hitchhiked to the airport and left the poor car in the ditch (gotta make block time, right?). The guys from the FBO dragged it to the airport later where it sat for a month or so. Good times.

TWF
IDA
PHX
EKO
Ameriflight vehicles RIP.

The best was when one of those things would break down and the Ops manager would scream "YOU GOTTA TAKE CARE OF THESE CARS!!!". It's a 20 yr old Dodge Colt with 300,000 miles on it. What do you expect?!

Good times!

Last edited:
I got yelled at by the awesome Billings manager when I told them their Geo wasn't running worth a ******************** and the oil pressure light was coming on. Apparently it was out of oil. Didn't know I had to check all the fluids when I got in a car for the first time.

The Colt in Rexburg, ID was my favorite though. I drove the hell out of that little thing. Some 99 driver threw a rod in it some time after I upgraded though.

My favorite was the Colt in Jackson Hole with the bald tires. Nothing like slip-sliding your way to the crew apartment Mr. Toad's Wild Ride-style in the morning snow, half asleep, with 4x4 trucks and SUV's threatening to use your little jalopy as a speed bump.

The Colt in Fresno was special, too. I think that was the one where you couldn't close the drivers window all the way because the driver's door couldn't be opened from the outside.

In Brookings, OR there was a late 70's Plymouth Valiant. That thing was a boat. You couldn't step on the gas too hard or it would start to go and then quit. Wish someone would have told me that before I went to pull out in traffic....

Good old Ameri-colts. Still better than waiting half the morning for a taxi or hotel shuttle. Always wondered what the ladies thought when they saw you roll up to a coffee shop or something and check them out as you get out of your pimpin' Colt- all decked out in grungy layover clothes, greasy Ameriflight hat, and so tired you looked drunk at 10am. Bet they wouldn't in a million years guess that you just flew in their stupid Valentine's Day roses or whatever else they just had to have.

Captain Morgan said:
I remember I was doing my CFII down at MYF. I was standing outside on one of my breaks when around the corner came speeding and sputtering a white dodge colt. It was beat to he!! and back with rust laced dents and holes poked into the sheet metal throughout various locations of it's body. It was packed full of blue shirted hooligans whooping and a holering with drink cups from the nearest Jack 'N' the Box in their hands. I knew then, that I wanted to become a freight pilot.

Hell yeah!!! :pimp::D

Last edited:
Wasn't there also one about...

...a Plymouth Duster that ended up floating down a canal outside Doris, CA, with the bank bags still in the trunk? It was located a day or so later at the base of an overpass a half-mile downstream...

...another Duster that drove from some desolate high-desert airport about 5 miles into town on a flat tire, becase there was no spare (and no cell-phones)? By the time it got there, it was totally steel-on-asphalt...no rubber left.

...a Chevette going down one of the main boulevards in Bakersfield under it's own power, with the hood up and the pilot running alongside trying to jump through the passenger window?

...a pilot who got so drunk on a BFL layover that he didn't "feel safe" about driving back to the airport, so he asked a local UPS driver to pick him up and drop him off there? He was met on the ramp at ONT...

At Ameriflight, the stories about driving were always as good as, if not better than, the ones about flying.

WestAir used to have a Yugo as the crew car to get to the layover Apt. in Cresent City. It was the FOs job to push when you had to push start it.

In Brookings, OR there was a late 70's Plymouth Valiant. That thing was a boat. You couldn't step on the gas too hard or it would start to go and then quit. Wish someone would have told me that before I went to pull out in traffic....

That only seemed to happen to me in that car when you had the left blinker on:eek:

Latest resources

Back