Will AirTran take a fighter guy?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Matty

I read all this stuff about 121 time, but I am wondering....will AirTran even look at a fighter guy? I'm retired AF with lots of single seat time, lots of PIC time, but zippo civilian time. (OK, I have a few hours with a major carrier in Atlanta, but I was furloughed a while back...) Do I have a chance? Will they even talk to me?

I would appreciate your comments, expecially those who are with AirTran now.

Cheers, Matty

Last edited:
Fighter Experience

AirTran will and has taken fighter guys under the current policy. I have a friend who flew A-10's and T-38's and he is currently waiting for a class date here.

The "military equivalent" phrase in the minimum requirements applies to single seat PIC, not just crew airplanes. One of the best things you can do, if you have not already done so, is attend an Air Inc conference. If you do go and you meet the minimums - I am told you will get an interview. I've known several people who didn't know a soul here but went to Air Inc (or some other job fair) and were called for an interview within 6 months.

AirTran is a great place to work and I think you would be really happy here. AirTran does require that you resign your senority at airline X. So be ready for that when you get to class. You will sign a letter and AirTran will send it to your former employer.

Cheers and good luck

I thought you said you were a fighter guy...

Your profile only says F-16s...:D :D

I have nothing useful to add (don't know the answer) but I figured that you wouldn't mind a little refresher jab from the Eagle world!

Best of luck-no kidding!;)

When I interviewed back in September, I think that 4 of 12 were military and I know for sure that 2 were fighter types. The 500 121 pic or military equivalent, you've got it, good luck

as far as the "attend an air inc. conference get an interview" deal that was mentioned above. i went to 3 consecutive air inc. conventions, had more than 1 letter of rec. and did the mail/e-mail thing and still no word, although it was "implied" by jill n. i would get an interview. so does this still apply to civilian guys or just military?

Gimme a break....jeez I am tired of you military guys.....Do I have a chance ....screw off....you go right to the top of the list .....jeezz

"I fly FIGHTERS"- neato, wow you're cool!

classic joke (and truthful): How do you know there's a fighter pilot at a party you're attending? He'll come up and tell you!! ha, ha, ha

Or you'll see him "shooting down" his watch!!! he, he, he

Or you'll see him looking at himself constantly in the mirror by the front door!! ho, ho, ho

:p :D ;) :)

Got an idea that will help!

Thedude said:
Gimme a break....jeez I am tired of you military guys.....Do I have a chance ....screw off....you go right to the top of the list .....jeezz

Hey make sure you bring a copy of your above post to your next interview.

That way the HR people can get you an expedited class date and skip you right past the psych test.

Somebody NOTAM this guy.

Matty said:
I read all this stuff about 121 time, but I am wondering....will AirTran even look at a fighter guy? I'm retired AF with lots of single seat time, lots of PIC time, but zippo civilian time. (OK, I have a few hours with a major carrier in Atlanta, but I was furloughed a while back...) Do I have a chance? Will they even talk to me?

I would appreciate your comments, expecially those who are with AirTran now.

Cheers, Matty

Magic Eight Ball says yes they will.....

and yes , they will. Got 2 fighter buds there.(well I did at one time anyway).

Latest resources

Back