• NC Software is having a Black Friday Sale Event thru December 4th on Logbook Pro, APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook, Cirrus Elite Binders, and more. Use coupon code BF2020 at checkout to redeem 15% off your purchase. Click here to shop now.
  • NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

Will airlines hire with a 1st class but special issuance?

Rally

Total Time
Will airlines hire (when they start again) with special issuance medical?

jmreii

Total Time
Will airlines hire (when they start again) with special issuance medical?

Depends on the airline(major or regional?), and what's the special issuance for. Some majors will be a huge if.

Rally

Total Time
Sleep Apnea?

Rally

Total Time
Or just answer the question.....Geez
lol

begsby

Total Time
Some pilots at the majors have apnea. They talk about a machine that they carry to the overnights.

FlyinFife

Fangoriously Awesome
Total Time
I don't have a correct or official answer, just giving my opinion:

As far as I am aware, if you have a 1st Class Medical, regardless of special issuance, you would be qualified. Basically, as long as you can perform the dutys and functions that would be required of you.

The FAA feels you are ok to operate as PIC of a turbojet aircraft during 121 operations (based on the fact that you have been issued a 1st Class Medical). I would think that an airline not hiring you based on your "condition" would violate that equal-opportunity disclaimer that everyone has on their job applications.

JMHO, YMMV.

Rally

Total Time
Some pilots at the majors have apnea. They talk about a machine that they carry to the overnights.

I would imagine it is common with age. That was the answer I was looking for. I'm not sure why they wouldn't hire someone with it.

Thanks

jmreii

Total Time
I don't have a correct or official answer, just giving my opinion:

As far as I am aware, if you have a 1st Class Medical, regardless of special issuance, you would be qualified. Basically, as long as you can perform the dutys and functions that would be required of you.

The FAA feels you are ok to operate as PIC of a turbojet aircraft during 121 operations (based on the fact that you have been issued a 1st Class Medical). I would think that an airline not hiring you based on your "condition" would violate that equal-opportunity disclaimer that everyone has on their job applications.

JMHO, YMMV.

When was the last time someone told you the real reason you were not hired??? hummmmm!