Wierd solo endorsement question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

hotwings402

I have a student that is signed off in the C-150 for solo. I need for him to go to airport tomarrow for a mock checkride, he's never been there before and does'nt have an endrosement. I don't have a C-150 available today but I have a C-170, if I take him in there in the 170 is that legal for the endrosement? OR do I have to provide the training to and from in the same make and model?

Thanks

Has the student received the Initial solo cross-country flight endorsement[61.93(c)(1)]? If so, then why can't you just give an endorsement for a one-time solo cross-country flight [61.93(c)(2)]? Maybe I'm missing something here...

I'm not sure I understand the question.

1. Why would you want to endorse your student to fly a tailwheel solo based on one flight if all he's ever flown is a 150?

2. Why do you need to do a solo endorsement for a mock checkride?

3. Why would you want a student to take a mock checkride in an airplane he has no experience in?

I must be missing something also.

hotwings402 said:
I have a student that is signed off in the C-150 for solo. I need for him to go to airport tomarrow for a mock checkride, he's never been there before and does'nt have an endrosement. I don't have a C-150 available today but I have a C-170, if I take him in there in the 170 is that legal for the endrosement? OR do I have to provide the training to and from in the same make and model?

Thanks

Please correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't a C-150 a tricycle gear and a C-170 a taildragger? The student would need a taildragger endorsement as well as an endorsement for the airplane.

I think what he wants to do is give instruction over the route in the 170 (b/c the 150 is unavailable) and sign the student off for a solo x-c to that airport for the mock ck. ride in the 150. I'm saying that he shouldn't have to give instruction at all, just sign the student off for the x-c (assuming the student has all of the other necessary endorsements).

Loophole

Its a 20 mile flight=not a cross country.
Can't sign off a student for a repeated OR one time cross country without if its not a cross country.
Its under 25 sm and its a repeated flight to another airport.

sopdan said:
I'm saying that he shouldn't have to give instruction at all, just sign the student off for the x-c (assuming the student has all of the other necessary endorsements).
But the student =doesn't= have the other necessary endorsements. The question started with a student who's endorsed for a C-150. Basic solo privileges are make/model-specific. In order for the student to take the 170 around the pattern at the home airport, he's have to give him training and a new solo endorsement.

midlifeflyer said:
But the student =doesn't= have the other necessary endorsements. The question started with a student who's endorsed for a C-150. Basic solo privileges are make/model-specific. In order for the student to take the 170 around the pattern at the home airport, he's have to give him training and a new solo endorsement.

As I understood the original post, the student was never going to fly the 170 solo, just receive training over the route in the 170.

sopdan said:
As I understood the original post, the student was never going to fly the 170 solo, just receive training over the route in the 170.
Oh. I though you
think what he wants to do is give instruction over the route in the 170 (b/c the 150 is unavailable) and sign the student off for a solo x-c to that airport
Oh, I see. Train the route in a 170 and then sign off the flight in a 150. In that case I think you are right. I don't see anything in 61.93(b)(1) that indicates that the <25 NM "local xc" endorsement or training needs to be airplane specific, just airport specific.

Assuming of course that either of us understood the question. ;)

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back