WIA info needed.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

loNslo

Anyone out there who has gotten funds for type rating training through the WIA, please post or email me information on how you did it, what state did you get the funds, where did you go for training, etc. I'm working with some officials here in the State of NY and they what me to provide info on WIA funds being used for flight training in order for them to assist me. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

I used the program in the state of NC. Not too much money left in the chest, but $2500 was better than nothing.

I went to Higher Power in Dallas Tx for the 73 type. I believe there are only a few schools that accept WIA funding.

Hope that info helped!

J3

I used WIA in Virginia. It took about 3 offices and 4 people to agree to the funding. I was able to get the entire course paid for ($7400). I know some guys in Ohio did even better, they were able to get the course, airfare, hotel, and per diem. I used Higher Power in Dallas. I would highly recommend them.

I am getting 8K from the state of PA.
There are many facilities and many programs available from the state of PA careerlink web page.

I am all ready typed on the 737 so I am doing a Lear type at the pan am academy. (i dont have any corporate experience so i figured i'd do this.)

But to give you an example of whats available type rating wise-
Lears/Citations/B727/B737/B747 B757/767 Airbus DC8 Hawkers,
King airs etc etc...depending on what facility you choose.
ie pan am academy, higherpower, usair simulator, flightsafety.

Well....Good Luck

I applied for WIA in the state of Florida (Charlotte county). I researched it quite a bit after being laid off from Midway. I was turned down eventually due to the fact that I was not "hired" by SWA or anybody for that matter. Had I been in the pool I probably would have gotten the loan. There are some counties in the state of Florida that paid for the type and hotel costs without any strings attached. This was back in October of 2001 and I've heard they've had some changes lately (sounds like for the better). Do your homework.....some counties in the state of Florida are pretty liberal when it comes to this issue. Don't waste your time in South Florida. Too many pilots live in this area so the funds will be drier than other areas of Florida.

loNslo said:
Anyone out there who has gotten funds for type rating training through the WIA, please post or email me information on how you did it, what state did you get the funds, where did you go for training, etc. I'm working with some officials here in the State of NY and they what me to provide info on WIA funds being used for flight training in order for them to assist me. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

I was the first person to attend a SimuFlite course under the NYS WIA funding program.

At the time I applied for funding, SimuFlite was not yet an approved training provider in NY, so I coordinated both ends. I initiated the process in mid Nov, 2001. Approval to go to training occured about a month later. And I went to school end of Jan.

Search my posts for a complete account, including contact names, numbers, etc...

If you get stuck, or need some attitional help, send me a PM and we can talk some more.

AJ

Can I ask what a Lear type cost as Panam? I'm thinking it cost more than 8K. Did you end up with much out of pocket cost?

thx

Thanks for all the posts everyone. They've been helpful. Please keep them coming if you have any more info.

For PA, in the PHL area you have to call the Philadelphia Work Force Development Corporation -- I don't have the number handy, but it should be in the phone book.

They paid for the full 737 type at Higher Power (but didn't cover hotel), and I know some guys who got 747 types at Aero Service.

I got $9000. from Ohio for a Citation type. I also got rental car, $30.oo a day for food and hotel paid. All that in addition to the 9k.

It is a very good thing!

Latest resources

Back