• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why you should fly the big airlines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I agree that pilot's jobs are some of the most highly skilled, highly scrutinized, and highly stressing jobs in the entire World. And pilot's wages do not reflect this, nor do they compensate them properly for what they do to get the traveling public to their destination on a daily basis.

I also do not shop at Wal-Mart, or Sam's Club. And I believe that no other American should be a customer of their stores either. I also do not purchase airline tickets on Southwest Airlines, JetBlue, or any other 'LCC'.

But shame on this poster for blaming labor and the unions for the demise of the airline industry. When sharing your vast knowledge of all the great things the airlines have done for the American people, be sure next time to also include a few examples of what organized labor has done for working people, especially pilots, in this great nation! It is the predetory tactics of the LCC, uncontrollable events (ie. terrorism, price of fuel), inept management, and unloyal consumers that have led to the demise of the Legacy carriers. NOT organized labor. I want the majors to put the LCC's out of business too, but that isn't going to happen. Capitalism and the free and open market determine everything here in the grand USA. If there are always a bunch of idiotic lombotomized DCA, Embry Riddle, Pan Am Academy rats running around taking any flying job for McDonalds pay then that is what the market price will be for pilots, and management will respect us the same as they do a drive thru clerk at the golden arches. I don't like it- and eventually- if the pay get's low enough- Many of us will have to find something else to do with our time. And the LCC's will grow and flourish in the coming years until people decide they do not want to "wal-martinize" the airline industry. Until that happens, we are stuck with SW and JB landing in front of me all the time at my airport. And that, dear thread starter, is the REAL 'American' way.

TiredOfTeaching said:
Because I've been around for more than a couple of days and have some knowledge of econmics and history. Judging your profile, I'd figure you for a PFT guy. Guess that would make you a big union guy to make up for your past. Hmmmm? At least I got to the EMB honestly.

You have never worked in a Union environment. You have no idea what it is they can offer, and how they can go about it. Everybody on here bitches about how their Union sux and how alpa sux and quite honestly its merely a blame game. And what exactly about my profile makes me a PFT bastard. That really shows how much you have "been around". Think again my friend.

I am only doing as did and start making assumptions. Figured you bought your time in a 1900 and got to the 145 that way. Maybe you should think a bit more before you start making accusations based on others profiles since you evidentally don't like it when others do it to you. And well I may not articulate so well in this medium, I put a bit more thought into what I believe than most seem to this day and age.

I may not be able to vote yet but I do go to all the meetings to stay informed on whats going on. I never said ALPA sucked or that I think the airline union was a bad thing. You did. I believe this is one place that we do need some type of unionization because I think in the end the management will use our love of flying against us.

I was very much against what the writer of article said. The guy obviously has never spoken with any line pilots and doesn't know about sitting hot reserve or lousy crash pads. Don't know how that got turned around.

GuppyPuppy said:
No. I just had to read your post a few times before I could understand what you were trying to say. It gets a bit frustrating.

GP

Sorry, I get a bit ramped up when this articles come down that are that biased. Guess they've never heard of exec's getting the multi-million bonuses when the company is in dire straits. But it's all the pilots fault.......

TiredOfTeaching said:
I am only doing as did and start making assumptions. Figured you bought your time in a 1900 and got to the 145 that way. Maybe you should think a bit more before you start making accusations based on others profiles since you evidentally don't like it when others do it to you. And well I may not articulate so well in this medium, I put a bit more thought into what I believe than most seem to this day and age.

Fair enough. I did make an ass-umption about you. I apologize for that.

I won't tell my 1900 buddies that you think 1900 time = pft.:D

I would just reserve judgement on the whole Union thing. And while a Union like ALPA will not make your job at a crappy company peachy, they are quite useful and have done great things for the airline pilot. I will say this about ALPA and Unions in general, they are only as good as the elected leadership. And by that I don't neccesarily mean Duane Woerth and the national officers. I mean the CA and FO reps at the LEC(local) level and the officers at the MEC level.

Last edited:
Paul R. Smith said:
Fair enough. I did make an ass-umption about you. I apologize for that.

I won't tell my 1900 buddies that you think 1900 time = pft.:D

I would just reserve judgement on the whole Union thing. And while a Union like ALPA will not make your job at a crappy company peachy, they are quite useful and have done great things for the airline pilot. I will say this about ALPA and Unions in general, they are only as good as the elected leadership. And by that I don't neccesarily mean Duane Woerth and the national officers. I mean the CA and FO reps at the LEC(local) level and the officers at the MEC level.

I agree 100%. Guess I need to need to get a grammar course in college. Waiting as long as I did to get some college tells on me periodically. (And I'm not finished with my second year either) I must be a glutton for punishment thnough, three kids, being a pilot, and going back to school. And I keep coming back to this thread!

Latest resources

Back