• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

why you put up with all the b.s.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hardly. It's young punks like you who whored themselves out by accepting jobs with peanuts for pay just to build "jet time". Management took great advantage too. How many RJs replaced mainline routes?

Let me guess WSO right? That's why your stuck schlepping the boss's bags while your buds are piloting 777's across the pond.

Nothing on that list will pay your bills.

Good luck paying bills with emotions.

Like a stupid T-shirt I once saw said: "If you are bound and determined not to succeed, no one is going to stop you."

Let a guy reminisce. You can be ecstatically miserable on your own time.

where on my profile does it show I PFT'd or flew for free/peanuts.

I started as an instructor in the Navy Flying Club. Then on to a 135 airline as an FO then CA. Then to the commuters as an FO and CA then to a Major. I never flew for free or PFT'd.

yes the smaller aircraft paid "low" wages but I suppose your generation demanded 747 wages to start in a Beech 18 or DC-3 right?

I have to agree with you. I hear this whining all the time. Everyone should be flying big airplanes seems to be the theme.

In the "old " days the vast, vast majority of the airline pilots in this country flew 40 seat airplanes. Martin 202 and 404's, Convair 240/340/440's and even some of the 4 engine stuff were not that big. The DC-4's and Viscounts were 40 to 50 seat airplanes. I started in 1959 in DC-3's and Convair 340's at $450 a month and all the gum I could chew. $550 second year and increment pay in the 3rd year which came out to about $650 a month. I had come out of the USAF as a 1st Lt. at $1500 a month so you get the idea. Finally after 8 years I made DC-3 Captain and got about $1250 a month for 85 hours a month flight time. That was NOT a lot of money even in those days. Pay was based on pegged speed, gross weight and mileage. In other words, "productivity". The bigger and faster the airplane, the higher the hourly rate would go. Night time paid more as it was deemed more of a hazard.
I despise the fee for departure scheme and was against it from the start. Scope should have been iron clad. But the AA "B" scale made that impossible. To avoid a "B" scale on the main line the commuters took its place. Big mistake.
Anyway that is the way I see it and remember it.

Merry Christmas

it amazes me that a thread like this can fall apart into 'we deserve more' so quickly.
This morning i got the best gift in years. Great tailwinds to bring me home on Christmas morning.

You tell me what jobs we should take? the only starter jobs are regionals.

Sorry. Gotta call BS on that one. I flight instructed for 5 YEARS in the late 80's/early 90's before moving on to my first pt.135 gig flying cancelled checks. THEN on to the regionals, et. al.

To say that flying for Gulfstream or Expressjet or Pinnacle is "all that's out there" is hogwash. You wanna instruct? Go do it.
Don't wanna? Huh. I kinda figured that.

Anyway, the first post in this thread is very nostalgic and I agree with so many of the examples. Sadly, I won't see so many others either unless things turn around.

SCR

ps Merry Christmas all

Most of you have completely missed the point of the thread. FI at it's best.

Happy Holidays, miserable bitter souls.

I haven't made less than 200k for over 10 years.
A week's vacation is at least 2.5 weeks of time off and I get 5 weeks of vacation a year, or almost every other month.
I say the above not to brag, but to encourage future generations to not listen to the boo-birds.
Take heart from success stories like I did when times were bleak.
Whiners have been around since the coin toss between Wilbur and Orville.
When I started flying over 30 years ago, one instructor was a furloughed airline pilot who tried his best to discourage me. I almost bought it and lost precious years due to getting discouraged and sidetracked and not believing that my dream was attainable. A friend of mine did buy it and has been miserable ever since.
When I started flying professionally over 20 years ago, some of the Captains I flew with said the industry was a dead end.
Every job I have ever taken in this industry was a pay cut, but was taken for a better future. At every step I left guys behind who thought I was nuts but I now pay more in taxes than they make.
My wife out earned me my first five years in the industry, and now she'll never have to work.

Most guys fly because of passion. We were cursed with it at birth. True aviators will never be happy doing anything else.

Don't give in to the naysayers. When the front door closes, go around to the back. There will always be prime jobs in our industry. The more the boo-birds talk each other into surrender, the more room there will be for those who follow their dreams and believe in themselves.

Happy Holidays.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back