Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why turn the TCAS to standby on the ground?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How do they declutter the scope at asdex airports? (ie the airspace above)
They have you leave your transponder on ALT. The computer can see all of the airplanes that are transmitting on the ground (Airport elevation) and can ignore all of the ones not on the ground.

American and Alaska keep their TCAS on TA/RA from brake release to parking brake set, one less thing to do on the taxi/before takeoff checklist.

Those airports that have ASDE-X require the transponder with mode C to be on so that would mean putting the transponder on "ALT". If it is just on "ON" that airplane will get a TA because there is no altitude information being given to the other transponders. I don't know how you get to the airline level without knowing that. That is student pilot 101 information.

uhu? what you are talkings you abuot? How the F could you know this tuffs if they say its' pilot students 1001 infomartion? TA/RA is the quvalent of ALT of a 127 cessna for us that R not sutentds nots.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter...TCAS systems use an algorithm to define closer rates of aircraft and then communicate with each other as well as inhibit TA/RA’s at certain altitudes. Since the aircraft on the ground does not have a closer rate over a pre-determined value you will not receive an RA no matter the position of the switch in the cockpit of the aircraft on the ground.

all sorts of useless TCAS knowledge can be found here: http://www.arinc.com/downloads/tcas/tcas.pdf

And Mesa sucks

You hooked on phonics kids should be kicked in the balls.

Ive only been asked to turn it to standby in Toronto, and it was by the ramp controller.

American and Alaska keep their TCAS on TA/RA from brake release to parking brake set, one less thing to do on the taxi/before takeoff checklist.

Those airports that have ASDE-X require the transponder with mode C to be on so that would mean putting the transponder on "ALT". If it is just on "ON" that airplane will get a TA because there is no altitude information being given to the other transponders. I don't know how you get to the airline level without knowing that. That is student pilot 101 information.

On the aircraft that I fly, TA/RA is inhibited by the weight on wheels switch..... But hey, I got to the airlines and the military without knowing EVERYTHING about the transponder. Possibly because it ISN'T the most important thing.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back