Why the whoop whoop noise on NWA's DC-9's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flyguyMN

Everytime I fly an NWA DC-9 before the powerback, there is a Whoop Whoop sound heard throughout the cabin. The same noise can be heard afterwards when the engines starting up. Why is this?

I deadhead more than i want to on NWA. I think what you are hearing are the igniters on the engine during the start.

The best thing that I can tell you is it is the ignitor box. Turbine/jet powered airplane and two ignition systems A and B. For starts they are both going on. You here this coming through the PA systems probably. Its just the ignitors lighting. This is all I can say. I hear this in some pax turboprops that I use to fly. I do hear this as well when I fly on the DC-9 as well.

Too insure an ignition source due to low power settings......most if not all jets (never flown a t-prop) are like this. Maybe someone has a better answer though.

The ignition on the DC9 is on for start, takeoff, landing and when flying through heavy rain or very strong turbulance.

You could be hearing the Hyd Alternate Motor pump; it is a Left/Right System mechanical transfer of Hyd pressure as a system back up. On the ground before the engines are started, the Elec. Aux. pump powers the left system and the Alternate Motor pump transfers pressure to the right side.

flyguyMN said:
Everytime I fly an NWA DC-9 before the powerback, there is a Whoop Whoop sound heard throughout the cabin. The same noise can be heard afterwards when the engines starting up. Why is this?

Why would you be starting engines *after* powerback? Seems a powerback would be much more sucessful with the engines running.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back