Why the contradiction?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
joe_pilot said:
Same reason bars have last call 40 minutes before the actual closing time.
Because you can't trust pax to turn them off prior to take-off. After landing, it doesn't matter.

OK makes sense. Being that I always comply right away, I didn't consider that others might not and need the time to ensure that they all were turned off.

bozt45 said:
OK makes sense. Being that I always comply right away, I didn't consider that others might not and need the time to ensure that they all were turned off.
Unfortunately, most bozos don't. They continue with their meaningless conversations, oblivious to the FA's saftey brief.

Semper Fi

A certain person with whom I frequently share a cockpit always forgets to turn his off. Almost aborted a takeoff when the thing started ringing. Now I just expect it.

pilotmiketx said:
A certain person with whom I frequently share a cockpit always forgets to turn his off. Almost aborted a takeoff when the thing started ringing. Now I just expect it.
That's actually fairly common.

bozt45 said:
Can anyone explain why it is that on a commercial airline, passengers are asked to turn off all cell phones BEFORE they can leave the gate and taxi, yet after touchdown passengers are allowed to turn them on while taxiing from the rwy to the gate? Why is taxi out bad but taxi back OK? Just wondering.

Because when I'm standing in the aft galley trying to check my voicemail during taxi, it's hard to hear with all of the pax yapping on their phones too.

Here's one: Why are the FAs allowed to walk around on taxi out, but not on taxi in? My wife's a FA, and doesn't know either...

Kingairrick said:
Here's one: Why are the FAs allowed to walk around on taxi out, but not on taxi in? My wife's a FA, and doesn't know either...

We are. We just have to be performing safety related duties.
Ref 121.391(d):
§ 121.391 Flight attendants.

(d) During takeoff and landing, flight attendants required by this section shall be located as near as practicable to required floor level exists and shall be uniformly distributed throughout the airplane in order to provide the most effective egress of passengers in event of an emergency evacuation. During taxi, flight attendants required by this section must remain at their duty stations with safety belts and shoulder harnesses fastened except to perform duties related to the safety of the airplane and its occupants.

So quit asking me for a pillow and blanket during taxi.

After every flight, some dork on the phone in the loudest voice possible: "Hey, what's up? Yeah, I'm on the plane! Just landed! I'm way in the back! I'll call you when I get outside of the terminal!!!!!!"

Latest resources

Back