Why the contradiction?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SWAnnabee

Can anyone explain why it is that on a commercial airline, passengers are asked to turn off all cell phones BEFORE they can leave the gate and taxi, yet after touchdown passengers are allowed to turn them on while taxiing from the rwy to the gate? Why is taxi out bad but taxi back OK? Just wondering.

Same reason bars have last call 40 minutes before the actual closing time.
Because you can't trust pax to turn them off prior to take-off. After landing, it doesn't matter.

My guess: the customers actually ought to listen to the Flight Attendants when they give the safety brief. Note to self: you don't have to take notes, but there may be a test later...

Second, if the pax manage to turn off those phones prior to push, it makes the compliance checks that much easier for the FAs to accomplish after the safety briefing and prior to takeoff.

Oh yeah, although I cannot cite the CFR where it says so, this is very likely an FAA requirement. We (JB) had to get FAA approval to allow cell phone use during taxi in, so methinks that is the answer.

Eagleflip said:
Oh yeah, although I cannot cite the CFR where it says so, this is very likely an FAA requirement. We (JB) had to get FAA approval to allow cell phone use during taxi in, so methinks that is the answer.

Makes sense...I can't remember whether the reg says "operator" or "pilot in command" decides what equipment is and isn't allowed. Either way, I'm sure it has to be in your ops manual. That's probably why the FAA approval was required.

Just a guess though...I've been wrong before.

-mini

Because when you're taxiing in, your not worried if your FMS loses its waypoints as much as when you're taxiing out.

Yeah, and how important do you have to be to carry on a cell phone converstation while the FA is telling you how to save your A$$.
Oh, and why do you need to call someone while you are coming up to the gate?? Make sure that dinner is on the table??

Nah, its just because some people can't go 2 hours without making a cell phone call. Its almost like having a smoking addiction.

I was flying on Southwest last week, and they mentioned during climbout that we could turn on all our electrical devices, and also our cellular phones as long as they were placed in "Airplane Mode".

What is airplane mode, and what's so special about it? Do all phones have it?

What is airplane mode, and what's so special about it? Do all phones have it?
It is starting to become more common on all cell phones these days, but it really started on the PDA type phones like the Treo, Blackberry, etc. Basically it allows the phone to be powered on without powering on any of the cellular based RF features. In effect it lets the suits play with their meetings, e-mail, etc without emitting any RF.

Latest resources

Back