• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why? Please tell me why!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I am so friggin tired of other people imposing their "ways" on other people. If someone wants to say "nappy headed ho" and you dont like it, change the channel. And if someone wants to wear an article of clothing you dont like, look the other way. And dont be so chicken sh!t and come on these boards and complain without talking with the individual you have the problem with.

Hear Hear! If it isn't against the FOM/Policy Manual then there is nothing wrong with it!! People get their panties in a wad over nothing. Until the company makes policy not to carry a backpack then I will do so. If the company hasn't made a policy about it then it should tell you something that its not nearly as big of a deal as people make it out to be.

I am so friggin tired of other people imposing their "ways" on other people. If someone wants to say "nappy headed ho" and you dont like it, change the channel. And if someone wants to wear an article of clothing you dont like, look the other way. And dont be so chicken sh!t and come on these boards and complain without talking with the individual you have the problem with.

So, you're saying that those passengers who complained about the 'Islamic Mullahs' at MSP were wrong? They should've simply looked the other way. I don't think so.

Being a radio jock and an airline pilot are two completely different scenarios. Airline is all about professionalism and 'standardizations’.

From a passengers’ point of view, let me tell you it matters. Few years ago, on the way to London from MSP, me and my family noted this strange looking fella who showed up at the gate and we figure he was our captain on NWA DC-10 flight to LGW. This is few years before I even started taking flight lessons so I was looking at this from strictly a passenger-point-of-view.

This guys was about 5’5 or shorter; wore his uniform with pants about two inches above his ankles, light grey socks didn’t match his shoes or pants (socks must match pants in any kind of suit worn; Etiquette 101), in fact his socks stood out the most, his ties was about five inches too short…perhaps because he had a massive beer belly (he was obese), the knot in his ties was two inches below where it should’ve been; top button on his shirt didn’t exist and rest of the buttons were ‘hanging by the thread’, pardon the pun, in a helpless situation against the massive internal pressure exerted by his clogged organs; his shoes dirty, yes, not only there weren’t polished, they were dirty; don’t even ask how badly wrinkled his uniform was, hat wasn’t worn properly, and, drum roll please…he walked in pulling his overnight and flight back with the left arm while in his right was a massive (super-sized of course) McDonald’s pop. His teeth looked yellow and his mustache untrimmed.

It was quite a sight. Now, from us, passengers’ point of view, it looked like a skit from SNL. My wife told me: “I can’t believe this.” This response was due to a good experience we had about ten days ago when we had experienced watching an Iceland Air crew that that just disembarked from a 757 flight from Reykjavik at MSP. You’d think they had just been dressed by Armani himself!

So, yes, it matters how public and your fellow professionals view you. It’s about impressions and perceptions. Do not belittle those who point these flaws and try to learn that flying an airliner is not simply about taxi, takeoffs, cruise, approach, and landing. If we think like this then the day won’t be far when pilots like you would insist to fly wearing sandals and Hawaiian shirts.

And I’m glad that the public was paying attention at MSP and informed the pilots about people dressed strangely and involved in strange behavior. I will stop here so I won’t digress.

As for as that NWA captain, his FO was immaculately dressed, looked incredibly very professionals, and incredibly sharp. The flight took off fine and landed fine.

Shaheen said:
So, yes, it matters how public and your fellow professionals view you. It’s about impressions and perceptions. Do not belittle those who point these flaws and try to learn that flying an airliner is not simply about taxi, takeoffs, cruise, approach, and landing. If we think like this then the day won’t be far when pilots like you would insist to fly wearing sandals and Hawaiian shirts.

Excellent idea!! I would much rather wear buisness casual than what we wear now. BTW despite all that you say about that NWA captain the flight still went off without a hitch. If people felt that strongly about it they would have refused to board the flight because of how the captain looked. Sorry this isn't the 1960s anymore and it is not a leave it to beaver world.

[/color][/font][/i][/b]

Sorry this isn't the 1960s anymore and it is not a leave it to beaver world.

It wasn't a "leave it to beaver world" in the 1960's either. Past mistakes or successes should not determine how we define "professional" today.

The 60's went out of style in the 70's and so on and so forth. Neatness will never get old, and neither will rebelious dirtbags who do stuff because "they don't care what others think". We should care about our appearance at that's all there is to it.

Business casual, huh? Let's say you have to evacuate and go outside to help the PAX. How are they going to identify you as a crewmember? You're no longer a "uniformed crewmember". Are you going to flash your airline ID? What if you lose it on the way out the airplane?

Have some self-respect as a professional pilot and try to look presentable in your company's uniform. At least look the part.

My backpack doesn't have those side pockets for the bottles of water/beer/rum...

I will look into it next time I drive by a wallmart! My backpack has a "John Deere" logo on it...is that ok?

Why don't you just say who the guy worked for so somebody who works for that company can see this and could actually talk to their Chief and make sure their uniform policy is enforced or changed. Man that was a long sentence!

Employees act they way they are treated? If you are treated with respect and dignity, you will typically find that people will feel the same feeling about themselves. (Psy101). Regional airlines depend on commitment to safety only, Back packs mean nothing. So if Joe Blow wants to wear a back pack over his/her uniform...Ask yourself, Who are they being led by?

I have to disagree. How can one expect to be treated as a pro when they look like krap?
I flew the communters in the days of 19 seat props and we still looked better than the jet flying kids do today. I have to point the finger at a bunch of young, spoiled, lazy and selfish lowtimers who have not worked long and hard enough to take pride in what they do.
The jet r neat generation is here! Try and talk to them and instead of listening to what an experienced professional has to say, all they have is indignance and comebacks like "you don't even know me"...
It's like high school out there. PATHETIC!

There is nothing in the FOM/Policy manual that says a backpack can not be worn. If it is not against policy then it is not unprofessional. In fact I would much rather use a backpack than a dorky square flight case. In ORD too many new hires have the big black flight case with jeppesen written all over it. Jeppesen gear is for dorks!

I think wearing a backpack is also a more efficent way to carry more things. I can fit a lot more in my backpack than I can in a dorky square flight case.

Here's a classic example...

Latest resources

Back