• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why not back to the table?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No duty rigs is a dangerous game to play with these new rest rules in place. Picture a 12 hour day with two airport sits of 4:59 between each of your 3 one hour legs.

Think they won't do it? We should have learnt from the previous couple of contracts, that we need to imagine the worst possible way they can abuse the contract, and then they'll find something a little worse than that.

Enjoy your 48 hours of duty on your 4 day, and your 16 hours of pay.

Bring back the rigs, or make min day 5 hrs.

Why does a day of vacation not pay min day credit?
Why do reserves get docked 4 hours of sick time for a reserve day they call out for? Why is it not min day?

They are expecting us to take a pay freeze for the next 5 years plus however long it takes to negotiate the new contract. Inflation is only going one way with the amount of money the fed is injecting into the economy. In 8 years time your take home pay in real terms is going to be in the region (conservatively) of 16% less than it is today.... probably significantly less than that. Where have we seen any commitment from management to freeze their pay at current levels for the next 8 years? Oh, we haven''t. Instead they are giving themselves huge raises every year.

Send this TA back to them with a resounding NO, please.

Bingo

I've met only one yes voter (who was open about it) at L-Xjt. He's a smart guy but seems to take the company and union at their word when many of us don't. Hopefully most of us realize we have more leverage now than ever before.

Why all the rush to vote in a contract after 3 yrs of negotiations? They put this out during the holidays and when everyone is concerned about their Jan schedules for a reason. Hoping most of us are just preoccupied enough to not vote.

No duty rigs is a dangerous game to play with these new rest rules in place. Picture a 12 hour day with two airport sits of 4:59 between each of your 3 one hour legs.

Think they won't do it? We should have learnt from the previous couple of contracts, that we need to imagine the worst possible way they can abuse the contract, and then they'll find something a little worse than that.

Enjoy your 48 hours of duty on your 4 day, and your 16 hours of pay.

Bring back the rigs, or make min day 5 hrs.

Why does a day of vacation not pay min day credit?
Why do reserves get docked 4 hours of sick time for a reserve day they call out for? Why is it not min day?

They are expecting us to take a pay freeze for the next 5 years plus however long it takes to negotiate the new contract. Inflation is only going one way with the amount of money the fed is injecting into the economy. In 8 years time your take home pay in real terms is going to be in the region (conservatively) of 16% less than it is today.... probably significantly less than that. Where have we seen any commitment from management to freeze their pay at current levels for the next 8 years? Oh, we haven''t. Instead they are giving themselves huge raises every year.

Send this TA back to them with a resounding NO, please.
Excellent points. In fact, without rigs I can see them intentionally (not just randomly) setting up maximum airport appreciation time, as this gives them additional "ready reserve" coverage.

I'm all for being fair and reasonable--I don't need an increase in min day, as I didn't really earn the extra if I just do one leg home in the morning. But duty rigs are completely fair and reasonable, as they prevent the company from retaining us on their property for the potential use of our services without pay. And if the company is smart, they cost the company NOTHING. Rig loss alone is reason to vote NO.

EVERY SINGLE pilot, reserve or otherwise, becomes a ready reserve by default. Add in the little gem of being able to be notified by the janitor of an assignement, and suddenly this thing takes on a life of its own.

And all the while you're making a whopping $1.65/hour.

And on that subject, why is it they think my food and sustenance on a trip costs less than a Delta pilot's (or any of a number of other airlines? Do I pay less than them for a coffee or a sandwhich? I think not.

Extend the inflation game to your per diem. 5 years ago an entree and salad with a drink at Natures Bistro on E cost $8.50. That same meal now will cost you about $11. That's a 30% increase, or 6% per year.

What do you think your per diem will buy you by the time we negotiate a new contract, even 5 years from now?

What do you think your take home pay will buy you at the grocery store, even 5 years from now........ A LOT less than it does now. That I can promise you.

The longevity pay increases are for you to get ahead, not to keep up with inflation....and certainly not so you don't fall quite as far behind

Last edited:
EVERY SINGLE pilot, reserve or otherwise, becomes a ready reserve by default. Add in the little gem of being able to be notified by the janitor of an assignement, and suddenly this thing takes on a life of its own.

And all the while you're making a whopping $1.65/hour.

And on that subject, why is it they think my food and sustenance on a trip costs less than a Delta pilot's (or any of a number of other airlines? Do I pay less than them for a coffee or a sandwhich? I think not.

Extend the inflation game to your per diem. 5 years ago an entree and salad with a drink at Natures Bistro on E cost $8.50. That same meal now will cost you about $11. That's a 30% increase, or 6% per year.

What do you think your per diem will buy you by the time we negotiate a new contract, even 5 years from now?

What do you think your take home pay will buy you at the grocery store, even 5 years from now........ A LOT less than it does now. That I can promise you.

The longevity pay increases are for you to get ahead, not to keep up with inflation....and certainly not so you don't fall quite as far behind

Let me ask you this, what happens to you if you get reassigned now? Do you just go to your house?

That's not the point. No duty rigs allows the company to create long airport sits with no financial liability, and in effect place a line holder on ready reserve. Which is fine with me if I'm getting paid 1 hour for every 2 hours if duty. Not so much fun if all you're getting g for the time sitting is $1.65

My point is who cares how they notify you. If they change your schedule, you aren't just gonna drive to your house because they never got a hold of you. This excludes extensions of course.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back