Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PhatAJ2008

Why no winglets on MD-80 series?

Seems like I have seen them on every other large airliner, even the 727... Why not on the MD? Delta and AA have so many of them, and if they save fuel why not?

Last edited:
Google "jet tran air", or "Q-80". It comes down to possible fleet replacement, and installation cost/ weight penalty vs. fuel savings. Its a bean counter decision. Goes for the 717 as well.

The best way to save fuel on a 15 year old MD80 is to park it and replace it with a new fuel efficient bird.

Winglets would be cute though.

I was told by a retired GE engineer that worked on that project (the Unducted Fan) that another problem that they were running into was the difference in temperature at each end of the exposed fan blade at altitude......a couple hundred degrees on the inside versus -40 on the outside made for a lot of stress on the blades

MD80 Winglets

AA has studied it for quite awhile, along with re-engining them with 717 engines... but so far, no dice. Too expensive, not enough payoff I guess. Fine with me, setting off car alarms on takeoff still puts hair on my chest to this day. :cool:

Latest resources

Back