Why No Foam on Runway for JetBlue Landing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Redmeat said:
Hey pilotyip, if you're out there, this is the kind of thing they teach you when you get an aviation degree.

:) :) :)

Ok, say you were going to foam the runway (not that I would), It's a 10k+ foot long runway. Which part of the runway would you foam? A small airplane can land and stop in less than 1000 feet (usually). This type airplane usually needs 4000+ feet to stop (normally). Being that this isn't a normal landing and that they probably were going to use most if not all the runway, the fire department wouldn't know where to put the foam to be most effective. I've heard that you only get around 1000 feet of effective foam to play with. This is why, along with some others mentioned as well, that foaming is a thing of the past in these cases.

Last edited:
I think 25L is 12,000 feet long.

Hindsight being 20/20

If that pilot ever has to do the same thing and it was up to me what part of the runway to foam I'd probably just lay down a nice thin strip right down the centerline.

No need for full width.

Dang that was some fancy footwork. I was pretty sure they were gonna go off-roadin'.

:cool:

Redmeat said:
Exactly right. They don't foam the runway anymore.

It was proven to be useless.

Edit: Hey pilotyip, if you're out there, this is the kind of thing they teach you when you get an aviation degree.

Clearly humility is not one of the things they teach:)

The reason they don't foam the R/W any more is supply.They want to have it for using on the A/C if needed.

Foaming a runway in advance of a landing has proven to be less than effective. AFFF and Silvex, and other agents used for foaming, do little to prevent flashes and fires, and spilled fuel tends to float over the foam and still burn.

The biggest immediate concern from a firefighting perspective was the class D fire that developed from the wheel assy burning. This is hot, and if the burning material isn't consumed (usually magnesium or a mag alloy), it's difficult if not impossible to put out.

Laying down foam in advance of arrival creates a number of problems that other posters have already identified. Among them are traction issues, but not just for the aircraft. The fireground is made slippery and more dangerous for rescue vehicles, and fire personnel on foot. Foam is soap; it's slippery. You don't want to put down or use any more than you must. It's hazmat, it's an irritant, and certain types can be corrosive. It's used where it's needed. Additionally, as some posters have noted, with a limited supply of foam on board, putting the foam on the most effective part of the runway becomes an issue...keep it in the truck until the aircraft comes to a rest...that's where the foam is most needed.

I watched the events unfold on TV, and thought it was handled beautifully. I watched it on MSNBC, and thought Al Haynes did a great job with the commentary, as did the reporters handling the coverage. Kudos to the crew; nice job.

avbug said:
I watched the events unfold on TV, and thought it was handled beautifully. I watched it on MSNBC, and thought Al Haynes did a great job with the commentary, as did the reporters handling the coverage. Kudos to the crew; nice job.

Contrary to what most on this board are saying, I though the reporters did a good job... sure they made some mistakes, but for god sakes, they're REPORTERS.. called in at a moments notice to commentate for hours about a given situation. They're not experts, they don't pretend to be, they're just trying to do their job... give 'em a break. They're expected to commentate on topics that range from hurricanes, to aviation accidents, to politics, the war in Iraq, economic issues, etc. They can't be experts on everything.

FreightNazi said:
I heard on TV that the crew did an autolanding, that's why it looked so good.

That would be a big negative. No autoland on that landing. It was smooth. The autoland in the A-320 would have a "firm" touchdown and would not have kept the nose up to bleed off the speed after touching down.

Mike

Latest resources

Back