Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why is "stewardess" no longer acceptable?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The airlines were forced to hire "ball bearing" stews back in the 70`s, and the airlines didn`t wish to refer to them as "Stewards". They went for the "sex free" title, "flight Attendant"...sorta like "Firefighter instead of "Fireman". Luckly, "Pilot' is generic, however they are trying to turn the "Cockpit" into the more politically acceptable and sexest free "Flight DecK". I maintain that a "Flight DecK" is the place where naval aircraft take off and land on a carrier.If women take over the cockpit, then it will be called the "Box Office".

Now they also have FAA certificates, so just expect them not to like "stewardess" or "hostess" (corruptible to "hostitute" ;) ), any more than we want to hear airplane "driver" or "operator".

You really want to torque one off (and assure spit in your coffee?) just snap your fingers and say" Hey, Sky Maid"

A good friend of mine who works as a Flight Attendant for JetBlue said the term “stewardess” is unpopular because it sounds almost like “waitress” even though everyone knows that “…flight attendants are here primarily for your safety…” ;)

A good friend of mine who works as a Flight Attendant for JetBlue said the term “stewardess” is unpopular because it sounds almost like “waitress” even though everyone knows that “…flight attendants are here primarily for your safety…” ;)

Stewardess is a fine title... would you prefer "Hey Aisle Donkey we need a refill of coffee!" or perhaps these days Aisle Ox is a more "fitting" description.

Now they also have FAA certificates, so just expect them not to like "stewardess" or "hostess" (corruptible to "hostitute" ;) ), any more than we want to hear airplane "driver" or "operator".

What FAA ticket do they have?

Latest resources

Back