Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why is "stewardess" no longer acceptable?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Cockpit vs flight deck, sales clerk vs sales associate, etc. Some people have way too much time on their hands. Reminds me of a story I heard during the start of the PC movement. A women's group in San Francisco, I think, was upset by the sexist name "manhole cover". Whatever. If these women want to be associated with a sewer, go for it.

Little bit of thread hijack here, but along the same lines... I am not comfortable with male nurses being called "nurses". There has got to be something a little more masculine we could use. Especially since the majority of male nurses are not gay (unlike their flight attendant counterparts). When men started becoming secretaries didn't we change that term to the more PC term of "executive assistant". Thoughts?

And back to the cockpit/flight deck/box office discussion... about 10 years ago, the navy changed the collective name of all of their initial type training squadrons from the RAG (replacement air group) to the FRS (fleet replacement squadron). I guess too many folks thought it was inappropriate for female naval aviators to be throwing around terms like, "Back when I was in the RAG" or "How did the RAG treat you" or "I hated the RAG" or "The RAG sucks".

ps,
Back when I was in the RAG, it didn't treat me well. It sucked and I hated it!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back