Why is it that no one addresses the afte

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

afar1

Why is it that no one addresses the after hire process and the pitfalls of a 3 or 4 week fire drill training program designed around 3000 hour turbine pilots and the high rate of failure in the sim check.
The majority of pilots wash out in the oral or the sim check and that is never addressed by anyone.
Just curious?

What is your point?

Fire drill? Pilots are lazy critters. Flying isn't exactly rocket science. Learning systems and limitations isn't some insurmountable challenge. If one can't learn an airplane in three weeks, then one deserves to wash out. Why are people weeded out of the program when they can't hack it?

Try this...they can't hack it.

That's why.

What's the point?

for one thing, not every airline is like that. i believe Comair has something like 97% pass rate. the attitude of the training department is to help you get through if you're having trouble. all you have to do is ask.

The majority of pilots wash out in the oral or the sim check ...

That's a bit of an exageration, don't you think? The majority? As in, more people fail than pass? I don't think that's the case.

Asked and answered. Apparently because they can't study, and they can't fly. What's the point?

They're called TESTS. If you don't pass them most places give you a little more training and one more TEST. You can't test forever. TRAINING costs money and you should have come to the training with the SKILLS and KNOWLEDGE already.

If you only have 152 time, study turbine books. Study as much as possible before you go.

The best book I've seen so far is:
"The Turbine Pilot's Flight Manual"

It's a great book and is a textbook for some classes at Aviation universities. Also if you are nervous get a hold of the memory items and limitations for the airplane ahead of time.

Even a 152 driver can take the initiative to go to an Airline training prepared. Do you Afar1 have that initiative or are you just gonna go to an airline, fail out, and blame it on the training program being geared for 3000 hour turbine pilots??

Jet

Last edited:
Studying

jetflyer said:
If you only have 152 time, study turbine books. Study as much as possible before you go.

The best book I've seen so far is:
"The Turbine Pilot's Flight Manual"

It's a great book and is a textbook for some classes at Aviation universities. Also if you are nervous get a hold of the memory items and limitations for the airplane ahead of time.
It's a terrific book. I recommend it highly because it discusses such things as class.

Most of the pilots I knew who had class dates made a concerted effort to learn as much as possible about their assigned airplane before they started class. As I wrote in my response to your query on the Training forum, I did the same thing with my "lower-level" (as compared to a regional job) instructing jobs. I asked for copies of checklists and procedures and learned them, and these were for the ordinary training airplanes our schools were flying.

Regional airline class dates, in my $0.02 opinion, are extremely difficult to come by. It's really up to you if you want to pass or fail. If you've demonstrated enough initiative to get an interview and be hired, you should have enough initiative and motivation to prepare for class and pass your orals and sims. If you don't have that initiative, you will blow a golden opportunity, which some of us would give anything to have.

PS-Am I sensing a lack of motivation here?

Last edited:
You can take that advice to the bank.

An old saw goes like this "If you fail to plan, you are planning to fail."

Research what you need to know, and plan to exceed those requirements. If you do, the chances of failure are much more small.

Latest resources

Back