Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why is Express Jet Bothering with LOW TIMERS?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CLE145CA said:
And it is obvious our hiring process didn't get rid of ALL of the undesirables either.

As someone who used to do interviews, I can tell you that your observations are way off base.

As someone who currently does do interviewing for XJT, I aggree wholeheartedly with CLE145CA.

What an ass-clown.

To Mr. About Time: if you dislike it so much at XJT, don't let the door hit you in the 'taint on the way out. To paraphrase your own manifesto, it's a shame to see a pilot with a sh!t-ass attitude like yourself "taking a seat from a qualified person."

Last edited:
IAHERJ said:
I used to work at Express. I used to interview pilots there as well. We almost preferred lower time pilots during 2000-2001 to higher time guys for several reasons. First, they almost always had clean flying backgrounds(ie. no LOI's etc.), and they were hired out of university flight schools. We did some studies and forcasted the average regional new hire #'s and realized that new hires at all the regionals that were hiring at the time were going to average around 600/100 in the near future. The events of 9/11 changed that but our intent was to set up relationships with major universities and even the Army to get sharp low time pilots right out of school who had some instructing experience and place them in our hiring pool. In the case of our Army experiment, we wanted to get guys out of helo's with around 250 hours of multi-engine fixed wing time into our training house as well. What this was supposed to do for us was ensure our airline around 100 new hires a month for the expected growth that were capable of passing our fast pased training environment. If the #'s we projected were accurate, every major regional airline would need between 30-100 pilots a month and several were hiring straight into RJ's and we wanted the sharpest in order to keep our training costs down not to mention maintain a safe airline. We took the lead in investing in lower time guys and gals who were deemed very intelligent and capable and would work out well with our airline. It never was about turnover.

IAHERJ

Well there you have it, if you have little or no experience your golden, no loi's. And if you have ever had an aviation job before you might as well get your dream job at the local supermarket, as your experience does not count towards safety or training costs. After all if you have 5 type ratings and flown world wide does not mean you can pass the rigorous indoc at X airline.
Nothing personal so please dont get defensive IAHERJ, this is just my commentary on the industry as a whole.

Why is a LOI a deal breaker? Who says that they are "guilty" a LOI is just a investigation, they may find nothing happened.

you guys talk like a brothers!

whats wrong with you, you guys talk like brothers!

Whats up with this my brothers and sisters did not got hired! You have to earn to be hired, if you don't cut the mustard, I guess you don't belong to there!

Stop crying, if you can't make it, try an another ridicilous regional airlane!

Just focus your own career and forget about brothers and sisters!

"Experienced or not?"

Maybe your company has experienced the same situation that our company has experienced from our experienced friends

Interviewee:

Tuesday......Interview..."I have to be in this class next week, I was furloughed 6 months ago and I really want this job."

Friday....Same week...Phone call..."Something has come up, I can NOT make it to the class on Monday, Thanks for the opportunity."

Some companies have to pay for sim time before the classes start and that means lost money, and/or lost slots. Companies who own their Sims or exclusively lease the sim, this is less of a problem, but still could affect staffing. If they are planning on pilots on line by a specific date, and a lot of Airlines always hire in "Catch Up Mode" meaning they needed pilots yesterday!!! A few bad apples can ruin it for everyone.

The above situation happened to us not once but at least 6 times.

Now all classes have a mix of "Experienced" and "low Timers" and there is a built in "not going to show up Factor" built into our classes.

And to the individual who says that Sim evals will weed out the "Unqualified", it Does, But it has weeded out the "Experienced" as well as "Low Timers" ...

and to one of my pilots who stated that his Sim Partner took to the CRJ like a Duck to Water, glad we could help, We try our best to hire the more "Experienced" Low Timers. Hopefully, this makes since.....and if it doesn't.....the first 600 hour "low Timer" we hired had 400 plus hours in a KC-135, but I guess some guys would rather have some "More Qualified" guys sitting in their right seat.

Everyone of us was inexperienced at one time or another, OK, most of us, I know there's someone out there who's been there, done that and wants everyone to know about it.

PSACPSP

LOI's

hotwings402 said:
Why is a LOI a deal breaker? Who says that they are "guilty" a LOI is just a investigation, they may find nothing happened.

True...
We have hired guys (or gals) with LOI's, DUI's, arrests, Accidents, Check Ride busts, etc.
Unlike some other airlines....Most cases are looked at on an individual basis!
PSACPSP

It is obvious that you slipped through the cracks during the interview process at XJT. Why don't you do your self and the XJT pilot group a favor and find another job

PSAChiefPilots said:
Maybe your company has experienced the same situation that our company has experienced from our experienced friends

Interviewee:

Tuesday......Interview..."I have to be in this class next week, I was furloughed 6 months ago and I really want this job."

Friday....Same week...Phone call..."Something has come up, I can NOT make it to the class on Monday, Thanks for the opportunity."

Some companies have to pay for sim time before the classes start and that means lost money, and/or lost slots. Companies who own their Sims or exclusively lease the sim, this is less of a problem, but still could affect staffing. If they are planning on pilots on line by a specific date, and a lot of Airlines always hire in "Catch Up Mode" meaning they needed pilots yesterday!!! A few bad apples can ruin it for everyone.

The above situation happened to us not once but at least 6 times.

Now all classes have a mix of "Experienced" and "low Timers" and there is a built in "not going to show up Factor" built into our classes.

And to the individual who says that Sim evals will weed out the "Unqualified", it Does, But it has weeded out the "Experienced" as well as "Low Timers" ...

and to one of my pilots who stated that his Sim Partner took to the CRJ like a Duck to Water, glad we could help, We try our best to hire the more "Experienced" Low Timers. Hopefully, this makes since.....and if it doesn't.....the first 600 hour "low Timer" we hired had 400 plus hours in a KC-135, but I guess some guys would rather have some "More Qualified" guys sitting in their right seat.

Everyone of us was inexperienced at one time or another, OK, most of us, I know there's someone out there who's been there, done that and wants everyone to know about it.

PSACPSP

The no show rate with the "Experienced" pilots is a huge problem at XJT. They wast our time interviewing, getting hired, take the training manuals and just not show up to class.

Last edited:
Thx

Thanks, I thought it was just us!

PSACPSP

captjim said:
The no show rate with the "Experienced" pilots is a huge problem at XJT. They wast our time interviewing, getting hired, take the training manuals and just not show up to class.

Latest resources

Back