Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
B

BR549

I don't know what the lure is anymore. Years ago things were obviously different. Now its just a joke. Why are there so many people that want to "fly for a living" when you know how crappy it is? Maybe they are blind and think that things will change for the better and go back to normal. ( 4yrs at regional (crap job) then major (big bucks)) But as I see it with eyes wide open - There basically will be no "major" to step up to eventually (or already). Airline management knows what they are doing, taking advantage of the large # of pilots out there. Jet time doesnt mean anything anymore. Its all about - are you willing to work for low pay and high abuse as a career. Apparrently this is in ASA's own interview questions - check it out on www.willflyforfood.cc/. Its like asking you if you are retarded right to you face!

the ASA question was/is - Would I fly for a career if it was always going to be low pay?

The person got hired...I imagine his answer was the one they were looking for...

I think it's lack of education on the field, denial, and lots of good ol brainwashing by some that stand to profit.

negative vibes, it is still a great carrer. Where else can a HS grad plan on making make close to $100K by the time they reach their mid 30's. Planes will always be flying they will need pilots. I feel anyone who really likes to fly airplanes can make this a great career.

I gotta agree with YIP ... perhaps you guys are looking at it from the perspective of someone who dreamed of flying for a regional for a few years then going to Delta. Maybe $90K per year in an RJ is an insult to you, after all those years of struggle. And you guys at the regionals DO struggle. I've said before, I don't know how you guys do it. I salute you!

But I'm not going the regional route, and won't suffer quite as much, and I expect to land a decent corporate or charter gig that will allow me to eventually make $60K - $80K doing something I love. That's good enough for me, and most days it beats going into the office and staring at a computer all day for $50K.

I really don't think it's all doom and gloom. Not all of aviation. Just the normal career track of CFI-->Freight-->Regional-->Major. That is definitely going to be a rare accomplishment and most will be stuck at the third rung. And since most people on that path are looking at the brass ring (the Major $$$ and lifestyle), and since most will never make it there ... yeah ... it probably looks bad to you guys. Your expectations are just different from mine.

Minh

pilotyip said:
negative vibes, it is still a great carrer. Where else can a HS grad plan on making make close to $100K by the time they reach their mid 30's. Planes will always be flying they will need pilots. I feel anyone who really likes to fly airplanes can make this a great career.

Yeah, HS grad.

well said snakum. the money at a corporate gig at the top end may not be as high as if you ended up at a major but how many of us are going to end up there anymore? the quality of life in cororate (at least my last job) was a heck of a lot better than what i'm dealing with now in the regionals. i wish i never would have left my old job.
yes the regionals are a pretty crappy flying job now. i think that people don't realize it until they actually get here and work for a little bit. i certainly didn't think it was like this before i came here or else i would have never left my old job. at least there i actually had fun flying unlike here where i try to avoid it as much as possible.
people who aren't in the airline industry yet don't understand how crappy it is and how slim their chances of making 150K+ at the majors are though. they still see the "glamour" of he industry until they actually get here and then they get the tough dose of reality.

Latest resources

Back