Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

HalinTexas

昇る太陽の土&#
What did SWA lose by this? F9 was 1/10th your size, yet the posts are dominated by WN pilots.

If SWA is so great they'll pick up what they really want in Ch 7 liquidation, after they've driven them out of business.

I'm not really sure what you are asking. What did we lose? nothing that I can see. it is possible that we've missed out on an opportunity to capture market share in DEN so I guess we'll have to do it the old fashioned way.

if you are really asking why were we so engaged on this? the stakes were high. growing 10% and getting no closer to upgrade really means you are 3 or 4 more years from upgrade. any kind of relative seniority integration would have diminished FO career values rather than enhanced them.

F9 guys seem happy with the way it turned out and I think that many SWA guys are too, so it is all good. We made an offer, they made a counter and we couldn't come to agreement. it is what it is.

From another WN'er.
I really don't care. When I saw the news today...the only thing I really felt was relief. My airline career has been admittedly short, but what I have learned is that, for the most part, M&A should be avoided. My only regret is for the F9 guys (and if they don't want my sympathies..so be it). I truly hope things work out better for them than the Midwest guys. I think our company will soldier on. Well thought out contingencies are in place and will be acted up accordingly. Here's hoping that everyone of our careers will survive these turbulent times.
Respectfully.

Growth can be costly

it is possible that we've missed out on an opportunity to capture market share in DEN so I guess we'll have to do it the old fashioned way.

Or reconsider whether "capturing market share" is worth the price. Many marketing departments have caused great financial damage to their carriers by worshiping this idol.

I agree with you completely. market share is the chimera of failing airlines. making money is what you want. I was searching for something good and that is was all I could come up with, which shows you why I wasn't that psyched about the whole deal. but I'm just a pilot so I'm sure the money guys have it all figures out. or something.

"Or reconsider whether "capturing market share" is worth the price. Many marketing departments have caused great financial damage to their carriers by worshiping this idol. "

That's whats interesting. 170 million goes a long way in the marketing department, especially in one local market. At least on the outside that always appeared to be the SWA way. After watching them buy the competition at MDW and now try the same in Denver, it almost appears as though they've hit a wall in terms of organic growth.

Its ridiculous the cheap shots that individuals are taking. F9 chose their fate, the process worked, Gary kept his word and Republic won the bid. Time to move on, its absolutely ugly how some are taking advantage of the situation to throw mud. It also makes the respective parties look desperate for market share. Be professional, shut your mouth and move on.

It's highly probable the Southwest bid wouldn't have been chosen anyway so this is all moot.

Bedford had this all laid out and I'm sure all the deciding players were already on board (not just FAPA, maybe even board members that got to pick the bid).

They had already started making decisions such as code-shares etc like it was a done deal anyway.

Latest resources

Back