• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why do so many WN pilots care?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In a relative seniority merger no one gives up any seniority. Yet somehow this doesn't translate into Texasese.

That might be true, but this wasn't a merger. Relative integration would've been a huge windfall for the F9 guys and nothing but bad for the SWA guys.

We are far better off right now without the F9 deal, even if they were stapled. We didn't want or ask for this, so, like the F9 guys, we did what's best for us.

The decision is made, and I am quite content with it.

The reality is that time will tell. The question is that 1 or 2 or 5 years from now, will a F9 pilot be working for a company that provides the stability and benefits and compensation that would have been theirs had they been stapled at the bottom of the SWA list? Personally, I'd rather work for Southwest Airlines than a company that was run into bankruptcy and bought by a holding company that runs regional airlines.... It would be interesting to know how many F9 guys have applications at SWA and would buy a type rating for the chance to be stapled to the bottom of the SWA list.

F9 provides a great product, has great people working there, and I hope the best for them and their careers.

The bottom line is that the entire pilot integration thing had little to do with scuttling the deal. SWA was outbid by RAH, so even if both groups came to an agreement, F9 would still be going to RAH.

We are still being portrayed as the bad guys.... Oh well.

Hey Kharma,

SWA bought gates that were for sale in exchange for codeshare. We didn't run your airline and we didn't sell your gates. We didn't shut you down. We didn't put you out of business. We didn't piss off 1,000's of passengers when you locked the doors and stranded them at the outstations.

I'm sorry that you see it otherwise.

Gup

Gup,
I think a lot of the heartburn at ATA was a result of John Denison. He was brought on to steer ATA thru the bankrupcty. As the CEO of ATA, he had a responsibility to our Company. Many viewed his actions as being in the best interest of SWA. Then to rub salt in the wound, SWA appoints him to the Board of Directors after ATA shut down.

I had breakfast with John Denison one morning at the Amerisuites in Indy. He was a really nice guy to talk to. I had just gotten off a very long trip on the L-1011 moving troops back and forth. Denison knew very little about that type of flying that ATA did. I thought it was a little strange that the CEO didn't know much about the Charter business. As nice of a guy he was, I didn't get the impression he ever had much intention of trying to help ATA survive.

More accurately stated would be WN is no longer the low-cost provider. I would submit that WN may soon be on the receiving end of the stick they have wielded for many years.

I'll never understand why you losers are hoping for swa pilots to take pay cuts. Please explain why you want the bar lowered AGAIN instead of held up??

and if it's because you read this stupid message board and then determine that swa pilots are arrogant then you're a frickin idiot.

and if it's because you read this stupid message board and then determine that swa pilots are arrogant then you're a frickin idiot.

AMEN!!

Jealousy runs rampant on these boards. People b!tch and moan about pay rates, yet they want one of the highest paid pilot groups to take a pay cut. Unfreakinbelievable.

I'll never understand why you losers are hoping for swa pilots to take pay cuts. Please explain why you want the bar lowered AGAIN instead of held up??

Well, since we are resorting to ad hominem attacks: I don't understand why you're such a dolt that you cannot understand the very simple point I was trying to make, moron.

I don't want the bar lowered again, and I think the best way to have prevented that would have been an equitable integration of WN and F9, but alas that wasn't to be.

What I fear may happen is that WN, no longer being the low-cost provider, is going to be subject to more and more attacks which will siphon away revenue and profitability. This certainly won't happen overnight, but then again one piranha doesn't eat a whole water buffalo either. WN didn't go in and wreak havoc with the legacy carriers all at once, the selected a market, competed brutally, and frequently won (or at least had a draw, which in reality was a win for WN). Now that WN has matured and is the established "legacy" in many markets, it is quite possible that a new competitor will utilize the same tactics against WN.

Last edited:
In a relative seniority merger no one gives up any seniority. Yet somehow this doesn't translate into Texasese.

Are you smoking crack? Your 94 hire next to our 74 hire? You wanted our pay and benefits at your seniority. 100% windfall for you - nothing for SWA pilots.

Hardly fair and equitable.

Well, since we are resorting to ad hominem attacks: I don't understand why you're such a dolt that you cannot understand the very simple point I was trying to make, moron.

I don't want the bar lowered again, and I think the best way to have prevented that would have been an equitable integration of WN and F9, but alas that wasn't to be.

What I fear may happen is that WN, no longer being the low-cost provider, is going to be subject to more and more attacks which will siphon away revenue and profitability. This certainly won't happen overnight, but then again one piranha doesn't eat a whole water buffalo either. WN didn't go in and wreak havoc with the legacy carriers all at once, the selected a market, competed brutally, and frequently won (or at least had a draw, which in reality was a win for WN). Now that WN has matured and is the established "legacy" in many markets, it is quite possible that a new competitor will utilize the same tactics against WN.

+1. Nice post

Latest resources

Back