• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my theory

In my experience at ATL, the pilots doing this are mostly trying to prod ATC. They'll ask how long the final is when they are mad at being vectored out 20 miles but don't have the cajones to really complain. They'll ask what's the sequence for the same reasons.
As for the wind checks, some are mad about being made to land with a tailwind, and that's the wimpy way of pointing it out. Others are just dorks who have an IRS readout of the exact winds in front of them, but want the EXACT readout of the runway 200 feet below them. Maybe they think it makes them sound important or something. I know we make fun of them, and our little planes are much more susceptible to wind though you rarely hear us asking for wind checks. We just bite the bullet and fly the airplane. What a concept.

Ifly,

Judging from your list of aircraft flown, you really are talking of something that you do not understand. Let me lay it out for you:

1. Heavy jets are MORE effected by wind changes than the small airplane you fly. The aircraft's inertia will keep it moving at a constant ground speed when wind changes close to the ground. A wind a 500' that's 10 kts stronger than the surface will have the effect of a 10 kt decrease close in, and that will direction show on the ASI.

2. Miles to run. In the UK and other areas ATC routinely gives us "miles to run" for our descent planning. The question of how long the final is is for the same reason -- descent planning. No point getting right down and burn more gas (that's another difference between the big jets and the aircraft you fly).

As to the post above on the touchdown speeds, yes, getting that slow can result in a tailstrike and not enough energy to recover. Also, the IAS at stall is not the same as CAS.

Let's be real.In a heavy you only get one landing a month so it needs to be perfect. Plus the PNF doesn't want any blame to be placed on him if it is a cruncher. Narrow bodies are more fun.

This is ultimately about Delta right?

SDdriver, I'll second that, 30 knots plus and full ailerons.

Im telling ya..wheew, it get harry sometimes. If I am starting down the shoot and getting the crap kicked out of me I will sure ask for a wind check, hell I do it all the time. Most I have ever landed in in the Shorts was about 24kts, when I finally got the thing to quit skipping across the runway, I think my legs were quivering...That thing does not like crosswinds.

Long live the BOX..:)

SD

ifly4food said:
In my experience at ATL, the pilots doing this are mostly trying to prod ATC. They'll ask how long the final is when they are mad at being vectored out 20 miles but don't have the cajones to really complain. They'll ask what's the sequence for the same reasons.
As for the wind checks, some are mad about being made to land with a tailwind, and that's the wimpy way of pointing it out. Others are just dorks who have an IRS readout of the exact winds in front of them, but want the EXACT readout of the runway 200 feet below them. Maybe they think it makes them sound important or something. I know we make fun of them, and our little planes are much more susceptible to wind though you rarely hear us asking for wind checks. We just bite the bullet and fly the airplane. What a concept.

I know from your profile you have a plethora of heavy jet experience, but the issues you are whining about actually are valid for turbojet pilots. Profile summed them up quite well but....

As far as the dork comment, then count me in as one as well. Any question on gusty winds on the surface vs what my IRS's are showing at altitude will clue me in on any shear might be encountered. Not a big deal with your instant power response turboprop, but the slow spool of a jet it's nice to have an idea of what may be encountered for the rest of the approach.

Mad to land with a tailwind? Are you for real? Never in 30 years of flying everything from fighters to airliners have I ever been or encountered someone "mad" about landing with a tailwind. You're either legal or not. End of subject.

Mad about vectors? Hardly, reread profiles comment about fuel conservation and configuring turbojets for descent. Very applicable for descent planning and configuring the aircraft.

Seems all the speculating you've been doing about others may be
an insight to your complete lack of understand on turbojet operational nuances.

What a concept.

Boeingman said:

I know from your profile you have a plethora of heavy jet experience, but the issues you are whining about actually are valid for turbojet pilots. Profile summed them up quite well but....

As far as the dork comment, then count me in as one as well. Any question on gusty winds on the surface vs what my IRS's are showing at altitude will clue me in on any shear might be encountered. Not a big deal with your instant power response turboprop, but the slow spool of a jet it's nice to have an idea of what may be encountered for the rest of the approach.

Mad to land with a tailwind? Are you for real? Never in 30 years of flying everything from fighters to airliners have I ever been or encountered someone "mad" about landing with a tailwind. You're either legal or not. End of subject.

Mad about vectors? Hardly, reread profiles comment about fuel conservation and configuring turbojets for descent. Very applicable for descent planning and configuring the aircraft.

Seems all the speculating you've been doing about others may be
an insight to your complete lack of understand on turbojet operational nuances.

What a concept.

It's funny. I've been watching your posts for a while now, IFF, and you never hesitate to chastise somebody for unnecessary slams, yet you never fail to pass up the chance to let them fly yourself. Does your title of "moderator" make you infallable to the rules you so callously enforce?

For what it is worth, I am one of the nerds who keeps track of the winds on the surface, albeit without asking. I merely listen attentively to tower who give it quite often. My "little" 737 doesn't have the maneuverability of the aircraft with both inboard and outboard ailerons, and acts quite sluggish in a stiff xwind. Additionally, when gusty, these jets lack the response time to get themselves out of a bind in a windshear incident. So having an idea of what's going on down on the surface is a great indicator of a possible shear. Finally, it is my practice of leaving 10,000 without ever touching the power again until 1000 AGL. Planning a perfect descent requires constant calculating and recalculating in order to descend and slow to flap speeds, gear speeds, and approach speeds in order to arrive at 1000 without speedbrakes, power, or FMS. The last thing paying passengers want is a guy up there being a power jockey, or using the speedbrakes. Yes, how long the final is weighs heavily in that planning process.

In ATL, people ask about the final so as to know how soon they need to configure the jet and or yank the speedbrakes out in order to provide the best possible flow and keep the operation running quickly and smoothly and fuel efficient. It's all part of being a professional. I hope this addresses some of the inaccuracies you seem to love posting about the Delta pilots.

C Smith

Delta geek

I always ask for how long the final is for the same reason. Planning . As said in a previous post in the UK they gave distance fo touchdonwfor your present point, that was a great help.

csmith said:

It's funny. I've been watching your posts for a while now, IFF, and you never hesitate to chastise somebody for unnecessary slams, yet you never fail to pass up the chance to let them fly yourself. Does your title of "moderator" make you infallable to the rules you so callously enforce?

For what it is worth, I am one of the nerds who keeps track of the winds on the surface, albeit without asking. I merely listen attentively to tower who give it quite often. My "little" 737 doesn't have the maneuverability of the aircraft with both inboard and outboard ailerons, and acts quite sluggish in a stiff xwind. Additionally, when gusty, these jets lack the response time to get themselves out of a bind in a windshear incident. So having an idea of what's going on down on the surface is a great indicator of a possible shear. Finally, it is my practice of leaving 10,000 without ever touching the power again until 1000 AGL. Planning a perfect descent requires constant calculating and recalculating in order to descend and slow to flap speeds, gear speeds, and approach speeds in order to arrive at 1000 without speedbrakes, power, or FMS. The last thing paying passengers want is a guy up there being a power jockey, or using the speedbrakes. Yes, how long the final is weighs heavily in that planning process.

In ATL, people ask about the final so as to know how soon they need to configure the jet and or yank the speedbrakes out in order to provide the best possible flow and keep the operation running quickly and smoothly and fuel efficient. It's all part of being a professional. I hope this addresses some of the inaccuracies you seem to love posting about the Delta pilots.

C Smith

Delta geek

You copied my post by mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back