Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why do captains authorize cabin jumpseaters?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
there are a couple of reasons. for most of jumpseating history there was no CASS. the pilots were left to ferret out who was actually authorized or not. some captains were known to ask a few questions in addition to checking IDs. in addition, prior to the all the eroding of the captains authority, it was his ship and his decision. so its become at least customary.

part of the justification to allowing jumpseaters has been that they are an additional crewmember. this is why you see terms like ACM and OMC. its also why you arent supposed to drink while jumpseating.. you're on quasi duty incase you're needed in exchange for your free ride. checking in with the captain you're helping to ensure that he knows you're on board and available to help. (this is also why i check in with the lead FA too)

you're getting a free ride...why not say thanks to the guy thats getting you there? whats so hard about that?

if a selfish reason is the only one that will motivate someone, then introducing yourself may result in the captain making sure you're in a 1st class seat when the gate agent or FA puts you in a middle coach seat.

BTW, a Capt can deny you boarding when you try and do your ID90 re-boarding trick.

I would love to see that. Try explaining that one away to the chief pilot. You took a delay to deny boarding to a properly documented and dressed non-rev? There's the power trip that Beetle007 was talking about. I'd go through it all just to see it happen. There's always the next flight.

And the only thing that'll do is have me re board as a non-rev. I've only been denied the jumpseat once, and I just got right back on the plane. Big deal.

Those of you who are sticklers for checking ALL of the IDs, why do you do it? Do you think I faked it all, faked CASS, got a bunch of beat up pilot luggage, wore a uniform, and look like I haven't had a decent nights rest in a week, just to ride for free in YOUR cabin?

I had one Captain who did a perfect check. I handed him all my stuff and asked to ride along. He asked if he could borrow my pen. I handed him a Holiday Inn pen from my uniform shirt pocket and he said, "a hotel pen? You must be a pilot, welcome aboard!" and signed the form.

In my opinion, for cabin jumpseat, if you made it through the gate agent, welcome aboard.

Now that hotel pen thing was funny!

And the only thing that'll do is have me re board as a non-rev. I've only been denied the jumpseat once, and I just got right back on the plane. Big deal.

Those of you who are sticklers for checking ALL of the IDs, why do you do it? Do you think I faked it all, faked CASS, got a bunch of beat up pilot luggage, wore a uniform, and look like I haven't had a decent nights rest in a week, just to ride for free in YOUR cabin?

I had one Captain who did a perfect check. I handed him all my stuff and asked to ride along. He asked if he could borrow my pen. I handed him a Holiday Inn pen from my uniform shirt pocket and he said, "a hotel pen? You must be a pilot, welcome aboard!" and signed the form.

In my opinion, for cabin jumpseat, if you made it through the gate agent, welcome aboard.

One discriminating thing that neither the Gate Nazi's check nor is it a part of CASS: Are you a scab?? If so, you're not getting a ride to work/home on my boat!

XYV

I would love to see that. Try explaining that one away to the chief pilot. You took a delay to deny boarding to a properly documented and dressed non-rev? There's the power trip that Beetle007 was talking about. I'd go through it all just to see it happen. There's always the next flight.

I've seen it done. It's called Captains Authority. No questions were asked. It's your Jet when your the Captain, well maybe not at your airline.

The Pig.

the Horizon jumpseat form specifically used to say to wait until after the flight to bug the flight crew. i always did on departure out of respect, but not all are required.

mookie
Yeah, the company made that little change to the jumpseat policy, and it's annoying the hell out of a lot of us. Most of us still like it when you come up prior to departure, just to say hi and shoot the sh1t at least. I can't count how many times we've been deplaning, and we see a jumpseater getting off that didn't say a word to us, and with the new policy, we usually don't even know they were back there. Not a HUGE deal, it's just a professional courtesy. A quick "thanks for the ride" would suffice.

Another thing worth keeping in mind is that there are a lot of ocassions when the Gate Agent is under the impression a flight is weight restricted and deny boarding to a JS.

Most often when you check with the crew they'll either tell you it's not or work some magic to get you on.

Amazing what a little bit of politeness will get you.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back