Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why do captains authorize cabin jumpseaters?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What do you hand the captain?
Pilot certificate
Medical certificate
ALPA card
Employee badge from current airline
jumpseat pass for him/her to sign

It just seems like a lot of unneccessary stuff to be handing a captain when he/she could spend their time accomplishing the preflight and checklists

Bypass my cockpit without asking for a ride and I become aware of it...the only thing I'll need to see is you walking back up the jetway.

Bypass my cockpit without asking for a ride and I become aware of it...the only thing I'll need to see is you walking back up the jetway.

Why do you even care? Is it a power trip for you that strokes your ego? I think Spectre has a good attitude and I wish there were more pilots like him.

I am convinced it is a power trip for most pilots thinking they are doing other pilots a "favor". My grandpa hated dispatchers telling him how much fuel he needed. Pilots like power regardless of its inefficiency or usefulness.

Last edited:
Why do you even care? Is it a power trip for you that strokes your ego?

I am convinced it is a power trip for most pilots thinking they are doing other pilots a "favor". My grandpa hated dispatchers telling him how much fuel he needed. Pilots like power regardless of its inefficiency or usefulness.

Dude, you sound like an idiot. Its SA in the case of an emergency for you to know you have qualified extra hands. The meeting and documentation check is to see if potential J.S.er might have slipped past the overburdened gate agent and allowed Osama Wannabee onto the plane. Why are we having this discussion on the Majors page? Can you go over to the regionals page please?

Why do you even care? Is it a power trip for you that strokes your ego? I think Spectre has a good attitude and I wish there were more pilots like him.

No, I have to disagree with the power trip thing, in most cases. This mostly is an old school professional courtesy. It's not so much as a thank you for this flight, but rather an overall show of appreciation that both of our companies have workout this agreement.

This is all new to me, should you say hello even if you are positive space deadheading?

There was a whole thread on this a while back. In short, no, you're on a pass. Do you introduce yourself when you non-rev? It's the same thing.

And the only thing that'll do is have me re board as a non-rev. I've only been denied the jumpseat once, and I just got right back on the plane. Big deal.

Those of you who are sticklers for checking ALL of the IDs, why do you do it? Do you think I faked it all, faked CASS, got a bunch of beat up pilot luggage, wore a uniform, and look like I haven't had a decent nights rest in a week, just to ride for free in YOUR cabin?

I had one Captain who did a perfect check. I handed him all my stuff and asked to ride along. He asked if he could borrow my pen. I handed him a Holiday Inn pen from my uniform shirt pocket and he said, "a hotel pen? You must be a pilot, welcome aboard!" and signed the form.

In my opinion, for cabin jumpseat, if you made it through the gate agent, welcome aboard.

Oh also I was flying with a Captain who saw a pilot in uniform board our plane and not say hello. He got up to go see why. Turned out he was a fractional guy on a ticket. Hope he felt like crap for wasting his time.

This is all new to me, should you say hello even if you are positive space deadheading?

ID on, ticket in hand and just say howdy, even if the FA's are the only ones that see you. Or they just see the trousers and know it's a FedEx guy on his way to parts unknown.:)

Sitting first class on a long flight ID comes off!

And the only thing that'll do is have me re board as a non-rev. I've only been denied the jumpseat once, and I just got right back on the plane. Big deal.

Those of you who are sticklers for checking ALL of the IDs, why do you do it? Do you think I faked it all, faked CASS, got a bunch of beat up pilot luggage, wore a uniform, and look like I haven't had a decent nights rest in a week, just to ride for free in YOUR cabin?

I had one Captain who did a perfect check. I handed him all my stuff and asked to ride along. He asked if he could borrow my pen. I handed him a Holiday Inn pen from my uniform shirt pocket and he said, "a hotel pen? You must be a pilot, welcome aboard!" and signed the form.

In my opinion, for cabin jumpseat, if you made it through the gate agent, welcome aboard.

First, it's called common courtesy. Second, I look at it no differently than if you were checking in to ride up front and there's a seat available in the back and you take it instead of being in the j/s. I've never had to deny anyone in all my years of flying, but if you don't want to check in with me buy an ID90. BTW, a Capt can deny you boarding when you try and do your ID90 re-boarding trick.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back