• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why do airlines let gate agents control the J/S

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Can you drink in uniform on the way home from your frac flight? Just curious as you don't work for the airlines.

Never really thought about it... Probably would be fine, but I don't know for sure. Obviously I'd skip it in uniform. ;)

What's the reasoning for that policy [traveling in uniform to work]?

Basically because we have to be able to fly a plane immediately after airlining. If the airline loses or delays my bag, I'm still supposed to be able to fly, and that's a problem if my uniform or pilot certificates are in checked luggage.

I submit that ANY jumpseat request is made to the Captain, as it is his seat to give.

That is incorrect. The jumpseat is the Captain's to DENY on the basis of safety or an enhanced operation. The Captain does not have the authority to offer the jumpseat to anyone that the company and the FAA have not previously approved.

That is incorrect. The jumpseat is the Captain's to DENY on the basis of safety or an enhanced operation. The Captain does not have the authority to offer the jumpseat to anyone that the company and the FAA have not previously approved.

Ok. I thought all of that went without saying...

So if you have a valid Airline I.D. with a jumpseat agreement in place and in CASS then you have already been approved by the company and the FAA, so it is not the gate agents position to deny you a seat....it is the captains.

Latest resources

Back