• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why aren't there second chances?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
2nd chances happen all the time here at SWA. My buddy just got hired on his 2nd try. He got the call 13 months after his first interview, but was very well qualified. I think the timing of the call depends more on your qualifications and how they stack up with the current group of applicants then whether your already interviewed once. Just my 2c. Good luck to all. Dont give up!

2nd and 3rd.

Just interviewed in December and there was one guy on his second try and another that was on his third try, it happens. Now only wishing i wont have to try again!

Splinter said:
It's all good...SWA and JB are changing the industry permanently with a revolutionary management tactic...treat employees well in a service industry! WOW! No wonder so many want jobs there...but to continue the thread...
Refreshing, isn't it? :D

I've got lotsa buds who desperately want a second shot right now and all they hear is that hardly anyone on the interview roster is a 2nd timer. Why?
I've been hearing the same thing from friends I have who go in on their 1st attempt - 1 or 2 out of 20 are on their 2nd attempt and are (usually) more experienced than their peers at the interview.

I'm NOT saying that it's wrong of Southwest to do this. It's THEIR airline, not mine (yet), and they interview whom they want to interview, but I WOULD agree that someone who went to the trouble of getting the type rating (not to mention financial output), busted their butt to get the FIRST interview, and continues to push hard for a second interview MIGHT, just MIGHT be a pretty damn good fit for the company and most DEFINITELY shows more commitment to the airline than someone who hasn't bothered to get the type yet. JMHO.

As far as being competitive... I have almost 8,000 hours, 4,000 hours of jet PIC, 3,000 of that is Part 121, and the type. If that doesn't make me "competitive", I'm not sure what will. ;)

p.s. the 14th of Jan marked 18 months since my initial interview and I've updated every month since I hit the 12 month mark and even talked to Lindsay briefly when I called to ask her to "reactivate" my application in the system. Holding my breath, crossing fingers and toes.... :)

Splinter said:
Why is SWA not giving interview preference to pilots who want a second chance? They are interviewing pilots WITHOUT types, but not re-treads? Why not both? The re-treads played the game, took the risk, and demonstrated that they wanted SWA above all others. People without types have apps out with EVERYONE, so how is SWA determining who REALLY wants to be there without demonstrating a commitment in the form of a type? All those pilots who played the game against stiff odds and have no ROI other than a HPA sticker and hat. I think the re-treads who want another chance are easier to screen than those without types trolling the airline waters for the first fish to bite. Most people shot down the first time fell in love with SWA during the process and are absolutely more gung-ho for SWA than people who do not believe enough to demonstrate the entrepreneurial spirit SWA seeks. I'm not saying if you don't have a type, tough luck...but since most who got types were told "our competitive mins include a type", they should ALSO being getting interviews. That's only fair.

Does anyone know why this is and when it's going to change?

Chance? You out there? Can you talk some sense into someone?

Do you know anything about SWA? SWA has encouraged people to reinterview since they started and many, many, many pilots have been hired on the 2nd and even 3rd interview attempt. Just yesterday on this very forum someone posted that they got turned down in May 04, reinterviewed in Dec 05 and just got the call they were hired.

Actually I don't understand the practice of re-interviewing someone that they have previously turned down. The fact that they interviewed you means that they think you are qualified for the job. The only reason to turn down a qualified applicant is because there is something in their personality or character that indicates that the person wouldn't be a good fit for Southwest. That is not going to change no matter how many hours or rating you get.

On a side note, everytime I have been turned down for a job, it turned out to be for the better, even if I didn't know it at the time. Why would you want to work for someone who doesn't want you?

hoover said:
Actually I don't understand the practice of re-interviewing someone that they have previously turned down. The fact that they interviewed you means that they think you are qualified for the job. The only reason to turn down a qualified applicant is because there is something in their personality or character that indicates that the person wouldn't be a good fit for Southwest. That is not going to change no matter how many hours or rating you get.
That's not necessarily true. From my sources who have actually BEEN on the hiring boards, sometimes a person can do an OUTSTANDING job during the interview, but have a blip on their record (failed training event just last year, non-rehire reference from 3 or 4 jobs back) that simply makes them pause and say, "Not right now".

Another year or two of no training problems and no disciplinary problems at their current job could make them view those "blips" as "ancient history".

On a side note, everytime I have been turned down for a job, it turned out to be for the better, even if I didn't know it at the time.
That's somewhat true, the pay cut would have been VERY bad timing if I passed the first interview, but would have been worth it to struggle in order to get that dream job. Have to agree with you on that though for the other three jobs I interviewed for that I didn't get (United in 2000 - would have been furloughed for a decade starting right after 9/11, CoEx in 2001 when my current company was going under, and AirNet Pax Charter group a while back). All of those, in retrospect, would have been not so great places to be, at least for me and the way my life has gone. Have to trust that things in life happen for a reason, you're absolutely right.

Why would you want to work for someone who doesn't want you?
Because it's better than just about any other job out there and they just don't KNOW they want me yet. :D

Latest resources

Back