Why aren't Aviators running airlines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

shon7

I'm surprised by the fact that majority of the Airline CEO's are Finance Guys - "number crunchers" most of whom overlook the "service aspect" of this industry. Why aren't more aviators running airlines. Is it just because we love flying so much that we want to leave the day to day operations headaches to someone else?

So for all of you who have been with the airlines - didn't you ever want to join the management ranks? What were your reasons for not doing so?

So for all of you who have been with the airlines - didn't you ever want to join the management ranks? What were your reasons for not doing so?

Have you ever worked 9-5, M-F? I have and I hated it. There is no way in hell I would give up my schedule, and "office view" that I currently have to go back to that loathsome schedule. Somebody else can work 60+ hours per week.

Besides it would cut into my time on these boards. God help me get a life!!!!!!!!:(

Well, you have Gordon Bethune of Continental and George Mikelsons of ATA to name a couple. I'm sure there are other pilot/CEOs out there.

A TWA Capt named Compton ran TWA into the ground.

As much as it is true to say that being a good pilot and being a good instructor are two completely different things, being a good pilot and being a good airline exec are two different things.

I'm working for a company in which a lot of their managers have backgrounds not much more than having being a pilot, and it is a disaster!

Saabstory -

"Read this board for awhile...most of us can't even spell let alone run an airline."

That is an xcelnt obsurvation and it made me laugh out loud!

mike

man-down said:
Saabstory -

"Read this board for awhile...most of us can't even spell let alone run an airline."

That is an xcelnt obsurvation and it made me laugh out loud!

mike

Me to!

flying

Because by its nature, an airline has little to do with flying. The best example that I can give is that passenger and cargo operations are both considered airlines even though they are in totally different industries doing different things and serving a different client base.

From a business perspective, these are two different things but to the pilots on these boards they are the same, an airline. If an aviator was to run the airline, he better be a number cruncher as well because the ability to understand the economics of the model you are working with is essential.

Latest resources

Back