why always talk about log books

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

rv4pilot

I don’t understand why every thread turns into an argument about logging time. I posted one some time ago about building multi time and the only responses I got were about what was in my logbook. I work for a corporate flight department that operates a king air200 and two large jets, all fly with a crew of two, no I can’t log sic in the king air but acting as sic will lead to the jets. I would encourage low time pilots to get all the experience they can even if it’s not all loggable.

Rv4pilot,

One should certainly get all the experience one can get...no question about it. And you're very correct; even if it's not loggable, experience can be valueable.

However the issue regarding logging time is important. The logging of time represents adherence to regulation, and understanding thereof. It's part of what we do. It's also part of what we are judged by in a search for employment.

How one keeps one's logbook reflects who that person is as an initial impression to a potential employer.

Logbook keeping is also a legal requirement, and the logbook is a legal document. It behooves each pilot to understand the regulation, and to maintain his or her logbook neatly, professionally, and in accordance with the regulation and acceptable standards.

I find it difficult to figure out how the logging of flight time can be so frequently misundestood, but it is. It's also one of the most common sources of questions when discussing the regulations...and subject that probably won't see an end soon.

Because nobody can find a job and there is not much else to talk about. If you really want to get things going throw in something like....

Whenever I fly commercial I tell the pilot's "nice landing, but you flared a little high." Then I log that flight as dual given. I used this time along with my time from Gulfstream academy to get a job with freedom airlines. I'm hoping that with the help of the RJDC my job there will be one I can retire at.

Citationkid said:
Can't you just log dual in the right seat of a King Air?

If by "dual" you mean instruction received, yes, provided the PIC is also an MEI and he signs your logbook accordingly.
If you are an MEI you can also log the time as dual given, provided, again, you sign the other pilots logbook and gave him some kind of lesson. The third scenario for being able to log the time is that you may log PIC for that time during which you were the sole manipulator of the controls, even though you were not the operational PIC, provided that you hold an AMEL certificate.

Depends on the situation. If the guy in the left seat is an MEI, then you could log dual recieved if he's willing to sign it as such. If you're in the right seat and have an MEI you could arrange it with the pilot flying that you were PIC and could log the flight as dual given and PIC, but that's not a practical idea. I agree with what was said above-- that sometimes it's just better to learn something than to have something to show for it on paper. Impress an interviewer with your knowledge rather than your numbers, particularly if you're going to have to stretch to show that you really did earn some of that time legitimately.

In theory you could send me a check for 5,000 dollars. I could then send you a reciept for 100 hours of block time in a twin. You could then log 100 hours of pic multi in your logbook, keep the reciept as your proof.

It is illegal and you'll get your tickets pulled if you get caught, but It would sure beat the hell out of reading another dumb post by people trying to log something that doesn't matter, like SIC in a duchess.

Splitting multi time seems like it would be just as illegal as logging sic in a single pilot plane.

Well splitting multi-time is not actually illegal. There are legal ways for two pilots to BOTH log PIC time under part 91.

I thought you could log SIC time in a King Air if it was used to carry passengers under part 135 and it was not equiped with an auto pilot.

I'd assume you would also have to have an 8410 letter stating that you are checked out as SIC in the aircraft.

Is this correct??? Or am I mistaken?

Well splitting multi-time is not actually illegal. There are legal ways for two pilots to BOTH log PIC time under part 91.

Yea, I know that, but those guys have to take the low paying 135 jobs with that type of multi time. Both the 135 operator that I first flew for after building my initial multi and the operator at my current 135 job, both pay well and they don't take guys with 1,500 TT and 100 Hours PIC multi as a "safety pilot". Even when hiring was keeping down the amount of resumes we were getting, they wouldn't touch a safety pilot with a 10 foot pole.

Latest resources

Back