Who's making money these days?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JetFumes

Major airline pilots make much less these days. That's stating the obvious. Doctors, at least GP's, the average lawyer, engineers, and so on also make less in general. The middle class lifestyle afforded by our parents is very much out of reach for our generation, even with a college degree. So the question is, who is making the same or more than the old days? I know there are pockets of prosperity here and there, but in general it seems everyone has it worse, which is not a good thing, especially for pilots. CEO's don't count, we all know how out of whack that situation is. Discuss.

"where the possession of political power is due to the possession of economic wealth, ... that is oligarchy, and when unpropertied class have power, that is democracy." -Aristotle

"the test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." -FDR

Well said-
Good question-
Get involved, make your voice heard, call congress, call your senators, bring rationality to Occupy-
I'm sure occupy is as disorganized as it seems- means a lot to a lot of different people-
For me- mortgage backed securities/derivatives/ record bonuses/ airline exec absurdity/
It's been a war on the middle class for 30 years and we should recognize it- and get in the fight-
Our economic structure is devolving into what it's always been in the unregulated history of humanity- oligarchy, then monarchy/feudalism- how far do we let it go and just make fun of the more ridiculous occupiers-
I really don't care if the lazy starve- but when hard working solid professionals go bankrupt bc the deck is stacked against them in an unfair playing field?? That's a problem worth protesting-

Well said-
Good question-
Get involved, make your voice heard, call congress, call your senators, bring rationality to Occupy-
I'm sure occupy is as disorganized as it seems- means a lot to a lot of different people-
For me- mortgage backed securities/derivatives/ record bonuses/ airline exec absurdity/
It's been a war on the middle class for 30 years and we should recognize it- and get in the fight-
Our economic structure is devolving into what it's always been in the unregulated history of humanity- oligarchy, then monarchy/feudalism- how far do we let it go and just make fun of the more ridiculous occupiers-
I really don't care if the lazy starve- but when hard working solid professionals go bankrupt bc the deck is stacked against them in an unfair playing field?? That's a problem worth protesting-

I'm not really out to occupy anything. I will say that I think its the wrong people doing the occupying, for the most part. I'm just curious if whats happened to our profession is part of a larger problem, and if so, who is exempt, the obvious random CEO banker not widthstanding. Is any profession like it used to be, and if not,.......why?

IMO- larger problem-
From 1940-1995, a Harvard MbA and a Harvard med student could expect roughly the same career earnings-
Since then, the MBA has outlearned the surgeons by 400%-
it's been a redistribution of wealth- from those who produce and earn, to those who manage the earners- of epic proportions-

We are just one example-
And the MBAs have leveraged our own discontent with the slackers and disproportionate taxation to win political and regulatory benefits for themselves- meanwhile they pay themselves $1 in income and pay 15% capital gains when they manage to pay at all-
The deck is stacked- and we've helped stack it

Last edited:
I'm not really out to occupy anything. I will say that I think its the wrong people doing the occupying, for the most part. I'm just curious if whats happened to our profession is part of a larger problem, and if so, who is exempt, the obvious random CEO banker not widthstanding. Is any profession like it used to be, and if not,.......why?

Maybe the occupying is wrong, it's not up to a simple pilot like me to decide. But what I do know is that what these Americans do think, their idea of what the 1%, occupy Washington. And that occupation is called lobbying. I just think everyone wants a seat at the table.

Latest resources

Back