Who's got the scoop on Evergreen?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Flyer1015 said:
I see I left those thread for a little bit, and Dart took over :)

Since your are back, I was wondering if you wouldnt mind answering a few more questions. Im curious, do you like flying for Evergreen? I hear Polar and Gemini folks talk about what a great place they work at, is Evergreen a good company to fly for? How are the guys/gals you fly with? How are Mgmt pilot relations? From what I gather your schedule seems good, I hear your in line for a new improved contract, and Evergreen has secured some new routes to asia but do they still furlough often? Sorry for the long winded post, but im trying to get a feel for what life is like for a line pilot at Evergreen. Thanks for your past responses and look forward to hearing what you guys have to add.

No, no. Dart is a pilot for Evergreen. I'm a crew scheduling intern.

I can answer factual questions about the company itself like pay, equipment, schedules, upgrade times, etc etc.

I'll let Dart answer your questions, since they're directed at a pilot currently flying here at Evergreen.

But I will say this. From talking to pilots everyday, they all sound like a great bunch. 99% of them are very nice to us even when stuff start hitting the fan.

Last edited:
Flyer1015 said:
No, no. Dart is a pilot for Evergreen. I'm a crew scheduling intern.

I can answer factual questions about the company itself like pay, equipment, schedules, upgrade times, etc etc.

I'll let Dart answer your questions, since they're directed at a pilot currently flying here at Evergreen.

But I will say this. From talking to pilots everyday, they all sound like a great bunch. 99% of them are very nice to us even when stuff start hitting the fan.

Well, while we're waiting for Dart I'll ask you a few. As a scheduler how often do you "extend" pilots on their trips? Do you have good reserve coverage? How long do you have reserves sit in JFK on average? How many leave Evergreen per month? is this do to retirements or other job offers? From where you're sitting how do you feel about Evergreen? Thanks again for all of your help.

As an intern, I don't extend pilots, that's the full time scheduler's job, because extensions are complicated due to legalities, paperwork, etc.

Right now, pilots are required to 'give' 16 days to the company for flying per month. Ideally, it would be 16 away, 14 home in a 30 day month. But, there is a shortage of crew, and pilots are extended. (Some lines are broken down into two-8 day trips rather than one whole 16 day trip).

Max. extension per contract is two extra days, so a total 18 away, 12 home. Again, due to shortage of crew, extension is common (sadly).
Reseve coverage depends month to month. This month of July, we had a lot of reserve lines due to the military not getting back to us in time.

Reserves don't sit in JFK too long. I took a scan today on some schedules, and found that some sat maybe two days as reserve before being assigned to go on trips.

How many leave the company per month? I can think of two that have left this month. I think it was due to personal reasons. One left to enter a police academy, don't know about the other.

Here's the thing about retirements: Evergreen has about 18-20 captains retiring in the next 5 to 6 years or so. That number is a guesstimate, but there are a LOT. Considering there are only about ~225 captains, FOs, FEs combined, that figure represents about 20%-25% of cour captains retiring (due to age 60 rule only).

Then of course, I'm sure some pilots will leave the company for some other reasons.... I think in the past, some just couldn't take the 16-18 days away at a time, and they went to Jetblue (and other airlines).

I would love to fly for Evergreen. When other schedulers are looking for crews, and can't find someone to assign, I always joke that if I had a few thosand more hours, an ATP and a 747 type rating, I'd happily take that plane out of JFK :)

Last edited:
Flyer, thanks for the reply. Evergreen sounds like a good place to be. I honestly never considered them until one of our pilots went there recently and he has nothing but positive things to say about it. Thanks again and good luck with your internship. :D

No problem!

I'm more than half way done now with the internship, in fact, I only have five more weeks before I pack up and leave back home.

McMinnville is like any other small city (pop. 30,000 people), but the intern housing is located out in the Evergreen nurseries in the middle of nowhere.

I actually saw a real Alpaca while living here. Only on TV did I see them on the east coast. But I come out here, and behold... cows, some horses, and alpacas!

Well said Flyer!......by the way when you leave we wll be losing a good guy behind the lines.

By the way. The LCF thing seems to be going pretty good. I think we find out next month.

Latest resources

Back