Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Miyagi said:
Is there a training contract?

As far as I know, there isn't one. I spoke with an HR guy earlier (he looks over resumes and also interviews the pilots), and he said that there was one guy in the Jan. 2005 class who left Evergreen right before he was about to finish up his sim. training. The HR guy seemed kinda ticked off about that. He said that there is a two-year "gentlemen's policy." So it seems that if you serve two years, it makes up for the money/investment they put in training you. But again, nothing is holding you back if you want to bail out. It's frowned upon if you leave sooner than two years.

No DC-8s here. We had DC-9s up until last year, but that contract ended, and they're all parked. There are no current plans to bring them back.

10 747s. 5 -100s and 5 -200s.

2 more B747-200s are ready now in Marana Air Park, AZ. That brings the total to 12.

lefttraffic, I'll answer your questions after I excercise. Gotta run 3 miles per day to avoid going into the "67% of Americans are overweight" category:)

Last edited:
The 2 planes that are in Marana .... what does it mean that they "are ready"? Have they flown trips yet? Evergreen is notorious for having "bought" planes and then you never actually see them on the line.

Also, I thought they had 11 planes, and that the 2 more would bring them up to 13 planes total. Did they park one recently? Or is one being used as the firebomber?

Thanks!

furloughfodder said:
The 2 planes that are in Marana .... what does it mean that they "are ready"? Have they flown trips yet? Evergreen is notorious for having "bought" planes and then you never actually see them on the line.

Also, I thought they had 11 planes, and that the 2 more would bring them up to 13 planes total. Did they park one recently? Or is one being used as the firebomber?

Thanks!

One of them is fully operational, already got an Evergreen N number, and was actually scheduled to fly MZJ-JFK today. However, that departure has been pushed back to tomorrow. Flights are already listed in CrewTrac for this aircraft, so this one is online now.

The second one is still in MZJ, and I'm not sure when it's going to JFK. But rest assured, this aircraft will come out very shortly (less than two weeks).

About your fleet number question, there are 10 planes, including one firefighter, and then the 2 more planes coming in make it a total of 12.

Right now, the firefighter aircraft, aircraft #470, is used for cargo flights just like the other airplanes. So, it's like a 'part-time' firefighter aircraft.

According to that same HR guy I mentioned above, he said that aircraft 470 will be devoted full time to firefighting activities, and the two planes coming online will be normal cargo airplanes. So, to sum it up, it means there are 11 cargo planes, and 1 full time firefighter.

On a side note, I just wanna add that the MZJ to JFk flight tomorrow will be operated as a ferry flight under part 91 rules, and apparently, the captain on that flight is 61 years old. I guess that as long as you have a valid medical, you are fine under part 91 (no age 60 rule thing)...

But, captains here are required to retire at age 60, like at any other 121 carrier. Some captains who have a A/P certificate, and a flight engineer turbojet rating have put in requests for a FE position (which they get priority over any new hire PFEs coming in).

Sorry...one more question: Do Evergreen's 100's and 200's have glass cockpits installed now...or are they still steam gauges?

Thanks!

lefttraffic said:
Are the pilot positions in the firefighting plane highly coveted? Do they get bonus pay?

As of right now, aircraft 470 is flying cargo, and can be converted to being the firefighter configuration.

I honestly don't know how coveted the pilot position is for firefighting.

Obviously, we can't predict that there will be a huge fire two months from now. So, I'm sure that flying that will involve the full-time firefighter aircraft will all be in open-time, and awards will be given out by seniority.

Is there a bonus pay? I'm not sure. I doubt it.

I forgot to answer a question before about the interview, if I could give any tips, etc. etc.

Well, to start off, I'll give the minimums. For some reason, the employment website of Evergreen got a makeover, and they forgot to put back the minimum pilot requirements in.

They are:

4000 hours TT

1000 hours Turbine ( PIC or SIC )

1000 hours Mult-Engine PIC (NO requirement/specification if it has to be turbine... so this could mean piston or turbine)

And of course, the ATPL, 1st class medical, RTOP.

As far as what they are looking for in the interview, see:

http://www.willflyforfood.cc/Evergreen.htm

the latest one, 06/2005.

That pretty much somes up the current process.

The CP, CFE, and VP of Airline Ops, and at least one HR guy (at the very minimum) will interview you. They're really friendly, and just want to get to know you. I dont like to generalize it all down, but they are basically looking to see if they could handle being with you for 16-18 days straight on the road.

Some tips:

Know the three branches of the government... judicial, legislative, executive. Study for that ATP written test.
Have a CURRENT 1st class medical.
And for goodness sake, bring EVERYTHING they ask for. I've heard of a few candidates that are turned away for not having everything that was requested. The company tells you exactly what you need to bring, so how can you screw it up?

I think there's also a sim. evaluation... used to be at UAL's DEN facilities, but recently, pilots have had sim training at Pan Am's MSP location.

I dont think Evergreen arranges anything to get you here for the interview. So, you have to fly into PDX, and then rent a car, stay at a hotel, etc. on your own expense. McMinnville is a good hour/hour and a half from PDX (depending on traffic).

Let me know if there are any more questions.

The biggest 'customer' is the US government. That currently represents about 99% of our flying (as of right now). So, that question is in the written test just to see if you've done your homework about the company (and the 'customer' - the government).

Executive
Judicial
Legislative

Those can't be too hard to remember:rolleyes:

Latest resources

Back