Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Whos familiar with working with electricity?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Here's a catchy slogan you can borrow from Central Maine Power.
"No line is safe to touch... EVER"
Everybody in Maine walks around saying that all the time (it's kind of strange).

gkrangers said:
Whos familiar with working with electricity?

Seriously, I'm prepared to weed through the sarcastic replies for one or two good ones. :D

I believe there's a guy named Ben Franklin on these boards. He could probably help you.

navigator72 said:
Here's a catchy slogan you can borrow from Central Maine Power.
"No line is safe to touch... EVER"
Everybody in Maine walks around saying that all the time (it's kind of strange).

...depends on how you touch it, and what you're doing at the time.

-mini

Don't know nuthin bout sparkies.

If ya get an assignment for plumbin, here's all youze needs to know.

Doo-doo runs down hill.

:)

:-) said:
Don't know nuthin bout sparkies.

If ya get an assignment for plumbin, here's all youze needs to know.

Doo-doo runs down hill.

:)
I figure they probably make good money, but who wakes up in the morning one day and says, "U-ree-ka! That's what I'll be when I grow up...a turd chaser!" :D

FN FAL said:
And yes, I do know it's the amperage that kills...

well, no it's not really. It's one of those things that gets repeated so often that people start believing it's true, but in reality it's a partial truth ... at best.

First there is a range of voltage which will kill you, regardless of the amperage involved. I don't recall the range, but a shock within that voltage range can disrupt the heart's function and cause it to go into fibrillation, regardless of the amps.

Second; yeah it takes amps to damage tissue, but the only way you're going to get the amps flowing through you is by having enough voltage. Let's say you had a circuit which was capable of supplying several thousand amperes at 2 volts, you could grab hold of both wires and it wouldn't even make you twitch, because despite the capacity, 2 volts isn't enough voltage to push any significant current through your body. Tape two "d" cells end to end then touch both exposed terminals, that's 3 volts, feel anything? of course not, not enough voltage. There's some current flowing through you but it's measured in milliamps.

It's a bit like saying it isn't the water which drowns you, it's the lack of oxygen.

Yeah..but couldn't you say the same about a line with a very very high voltage, but 0 amps?

Is the voltage still dangerous if it has nothing to push?

Latest resources

Back