Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Who went 4x4 with the Lear at Fort Laud??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SAMRA said:
Sorry big guy, thats isn't crappy weather.
Not to be rude, but until you can even concieve of, let alone alone possess the skillsets to drive a Lear 55 onto a short contaminated runway with that kind of a crosswind, maybe you shouldn't be commenting publicly about what's "crappy"

Do you honestly know what a complete TOOL you come of as in your post? Take your garbage to some student pilot board where you've actually got a snowball's chance of impressing some novice.

Was it drag chute equipped? I think it was max x-wind limit for the chute, though.

LJDRVR - ouch, man.

Gulfstream 200 - Your avatar gives me the shakes. Your man put Sprewell's on that fly ride. Word to the mother.

LJDRVR. I didn't realize you had such a crush on me. I will stand by my comments.
You seen like an even bigger TOOL for taken offence to my comments. Maybe they should teach you instructors types a little more about the flying world, rather than something you can read in a book.

Can you even tell me where to start looking for the wind direction when your flying over a frozen lake? For kicks lets say the outside temp is -25 and has been at least that for the last week.
I don't expect you to answer that, but there is an example of learning from the real world and not a book.

If you want a pissing match PM me and don't waste the bandwidth of this forum.

SAMRA said:
...and don't waste the bandwidth of this forum.
But dude, that's what flightinfo is for!

Yeah, I came of like a jacka$$ there, but my point was this: your "Sorry big guy, thats [sic] isn't crappy weather..." comment was nothing more than condecending, chest-thumping, implying that an aviator of your skills and abilities wouldn't possibly be troubled by such trifling "VFR" weather. The problem with that is not so much your attitude, (I had one when I posted.) but your myopic certainty that a metar that wouldn't trouble you in a Navajo or Beaver, most certainly shouldn't trouble a Learjet crew.

Pompous Rant Alert: My point is that until you have some experience operating the type of aircaft involved, (transport category jet) you should refrain from making blanket statements desingned to stroke your ego about what's easy and what's not. The average Lear Captain (and I was one for 4 1/2 years.) would have not even attempted the approach given the surface observation and runway condition. I'm not dissing the guys who took it off the runway, (There but for the grace of God...) I'm simply attempting to illustrate that a "one-size fits all mentality should be avoided when discussing what's "normal" Rant off.

DHC-2 on wheels? Fun airplane. Just like a big J-3. (Except for the sink rate.)

Last edited:
LJDRVR said:
The average Lear Captain (and I was one for 4 1/2 years.) would have not even attempted the approach given the surface observation and runway condition.

Given your experience, let me ask you why someone (And I'm NOT limiting this question to this particular incident) would even attempt a landing in these conditions. Was it

a) Because the operator was pressuring the crew to bring the plane back? FXE was closed over the weekend and they were apparently just repositioning back from FLL, maybe to pick up Pax. But the Pax were only a 20 Minute Cab-ride from the airplane if they would have went back to FLL.

b) The Cpt. thought it would work out. But according to some data posted above, the required runway was over 1000 feet more than what they had.

If it was a) why didn't they return to FLL and tell the operator that they didn't want to risk it, apparently backed by the required runway req.?

I don't want to badmouth or MMQB the crew either, I just would like to get a grip on what kind of decisionmaking process could lead to an incident like this.

Thanks,
Sun'n Fun

Latest resources

Back